Pathfinder 1E Are there compelling reasons to upgrade to PF1 from 3.0?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
On another thread I was told by another poster that Paizo hired some 4e designers when they were coming up with PF2. I can't confirm this rumor, but if it is the truth, then PF2 was written by people who were entirely aware of 4th edition and the reception it got.

How is PF1 doing compared to PF2 these days?
It’s true some 4E design team joined Paizo for PF2. Also, PF2 doing better than PF1 so pretty good I guess.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Also, PF2 doing better than PF1 so pretty good I guess.
I was under the impression that (outside of some truly extraordinary circumstances) any "living" RPG (i.e. is currently being actively developed/supported by its publisher) is going to outperform a "dead" one.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I meant doing better than PF1 had.
The boost from the OGL debacle, and the subsequent bump from releasing the Remaster (since everyone seems to have jumped on that as an "update" to PF2), probably had something to do with that.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
The boost from the OGL debacle, and the subsequent bump from releasing the Remaster (since everyone seems to have jumped on that as an "update" to PF2), probably had something to do with that.
This was before any of that. I believe it was due to PF2 launching about 5 years after 5E and a year or so before covid hit. I think 5E had exploded the numbers and PF2 benefited from that. Folks ready for something new or more complex were ready for it. I do think a split off happened between PF1 and PF2 players but the community has grown so much it didnt matter.

Its hard to imagine because Paizo and PF numbers are not as apparent as WotC. They dont share online sales and most folks use Foundry as their VTT of choice which isnt tracked like Roll20.

CapnZapp

Legend
I was under the impression that (outside of some truly extraordinary circumstances) any "living" RPG (i.e. is currently being actively developed/supported by its publisher) is going to outperform a "dead" one.
Yes.

Beating your previous edition is not an accomplishment. Not doing so is a disaster.

Remove ads