• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are there spells specifically designed to do non-lethal damage?

a-d

First Post
Am looking into becoming a blaster, but want my main weapon to do non-lethal damage. However, there don't appear to be any.

Reasons
Non-lethal damage spells would probably do more damage per spell level than lethal damage.
Have heard of resistance to fire and ice, but only heard of one Feat(Pugilist I think.) which causes immunity to non-lethal damage.
(A little searching for it revealed a few more methods of immunity. Example: Undead.)

Are there enough to make a scaling list of ray based non-lethal spells per spell level?

Also, touch spells locked to a weapon don't stack if they're the same, right?
Such as, I can't make a sword that does fire damage when it successfully strikes an enemy, and increase said fire damage by placing the same spell on the sword multiple times, right?

Ah, here's a good example.
I can't craft a magic weapon that repeatedly uses the spell, "Chill Touch" to increase the damage it does, can I?

So making a club with levels 0, 1, 2, etc. touch attack non-lethal damage spells doesn't make as much sense as doing the same with ranged touch attack spells?

Empirate

First Post
Am looking into becoming a blaster, but want my main weapon to do non-lethal damage. However, there don't appear to be any.

The Nonlethal Substitution metamagic feat has been mentioned. But there are also spells that deal nonlethal damage naturally, without feat investment. Look at Whelm and Overwhelm in Player's Handbook II, for example. These aren't that great, however, and I'd pick Nonlethal Substituted Wings of Flurry over them every day of the week.

For weapons, look at Unarmed Strike and the Sap, but most importantly the Merciful enchantment. It counts as a +1 equivalent enchantment (like Flaming or Frost), deals an extra 1d6 damage on a hit, and ALL damage the weapon deals is nonlethal damage. And the best part is, it can be turned off. Easily one of the most useful +1 enchantments out there.

Reasons
Non-lethal damage spells would probably do more damage per spell level than lethal damage.
Have heard of resistance to fire and ice, but only heard of one Feat(Pugilist I think.) which causes immunity to non-lethal damage.
(A little searching for it revealed a few more methods of immunity. Example: Undead.)

Immunity to nonlethal damage isn't as rare as you might think. Undead and Constructs are among the more often encountered enemy types. Not as common as immunity to fire, to be sure, but still. Also note that magical healing does double duty, in that it removes as much nonlethal as lethal damage in one casting. So if you deal nonlethal, and your buddies deal lethal, and the enemy receives a Cure, the spell is twice as effective.

Are there enough to make a scaling list of ray based non-lethal spells per spell level?

Huh? There aren't any, unless you pick Nonlethal Substitution.

Also, touch spells locked to a weapon don't stack if they're the same, right?
Such as, I can't make a sword that does fire damage when it successfully strikes an enemy, and increase said fire damage by placing the same spell on the sword multiple times, right?

Ah, here's a good example.
I can't craft a magic weapon that repeatedly uses the spell, "Chill Touch" to increase the damage it does, can I?

So making a club with levels 0, 1, 2, etc. touch attack non-lethal damage spells doesn't make as much sense as doing the same with ranged touch attack spells?

I don't even understand what you're trying to say here. Weapons aren't normally enchanted with a certain spell 'locked' in them. Rather, they are enchanted with one or more standard enchantments, like the Flaming, Defending, Valorous, Collision, Wounding, Vampiric etc. properties. These have specific rules for which spell(s) are needed to make them, but each of them can only be added to the weapon once.

The only method to 'lock' a spell in a weapon is using the Spellstoring enchantment: a Spellstoring weapon can store one spell, which must be cast into it. When the weapon later strikes an opponent, you can immediately cast the stored spell on that opponent as a free action, and it affects that opponent (and only that opponent) instantly.

Remove ads