D&D 5E Are we at, or close, to peak D&D? Again?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I'm thinking A. Not nearly as much as the OP suggests, but I do think D&D is gradually and steadily increasing in popularity, and may continue to do so for some time. It will become just one more popular game out of a slew of games people play for fun, like Charades, Monopoly and Beer Pong.

darjr

I crit!
Before COVID I was shocked how many new people kept showing up at the store looking to get into a game. I started Wednesday night at a new local store to help them get off the ground and after a year I had to “retire” so they could give the space to a new WILLING DM. It eventually spilled over to every single night of the week. That store even delayed doing Friday Night Magic till they could figure out what to do with all the tables of Friday night D&D, for years. And these folks spent a ton of money in the store, many also became Omni gamers, board and card and miniature.
I ran a Tour of Annihilation at each local store for ten days straight and I still get requests to do it again. TEN stores, in Omaha! And I even managed to miss two!

I think today’s “gradual” growth of players would have thrilled WoTC in the 3e Era, or TSR.

Even now I get a steady stream of brand new players looking for games. Players who’ve never touched a d20 ever before. This new normal is so weird for me I often find myself wondering, what the heck happened? Was it something in the water?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm thinking A. Not nearly as much as the OP suggests, but I do think D&D is gradually and steadily increasing in popularity, and may continue to do so for some time. It will become just one more popular game out of a slew of games people play for fun, like Charades, Monopoly and Beer Pong.
Yeah, I expect at a certain point the growth curve will level out, but it seems that the game has hit a critical mass of cultural normalcy.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Before COVID I was shocked how many new people kept showing up at the store looking to get into a game. I started Wednesday night at a new local store to help them get off the ground and after a year I had to “retire” so they could give the space to a new WILLING DM. It eventually spilled over to every single night of the week. That store even delayed doing Friday Night Magic till they could figure out what to do with all the tables of Friday night D&D, for years. And these folks spent a ton of money in the store, many also became Omni gamers, board and card and miniature.
I ran a Tour of Annihilation at each local store for ten days straight and I still get requests to do it again. TEN stores, in Omaha! And I even managed to miss two!

I think today’s “gradual” growth of players would have thrilled WoTC in the 3e Era, or TSR.

Even now I get a steady stream of brand new players looking for games. Players who’ve never touched a d20 ever before. This new normal is so weird for me I often find myself wondering, what the heck happened? Was it something in the water?
Dude, that's awesome. I've never really been plugged into organized play, but I love that it is healthy.

Frankly,it probably is.
Yeah, but is it better than what they'd come up with in a year or three if they kept practicing and learning and stuff (esp. with the resources we have access to today), at least for their own specific group? I doubt it. But certainly both WotC and Paizo would be very happy if people just bought and played the official APs for their system and didn't bother trying to make their own.

If they make good on the promise of three classic settings this year, and follow Ravenloft with Planescape, Darksun or Spelljammer it'll be pretty close to my idea of peak. If by peak you mean 'this will be hard to top'

While D&D could get even more popular than its current boom, a slump will eventually come. As a mid-40s gamer I've seen both boom and slump periods for D&D before. I expect I will see at least one more slump and one more D&D renaissance in my lifetime.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases