Are we on the cusp of a Tabletop Hollywood moment?

I wonder if we aren't on the cusp of a similar "takeover" of Hollywood by tabletop game properties as comics did 15 or so years ago (depending on what you count as the start of that).
Kickstarter certainly hopes so. Wasn't one of their new directors hired to facilitate this?

As for iconic D&D characters not tied to a setting, Vecna has been mentioned in 2-3 properties.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
As for iconic D&D characters not tied to a setting, Vecna has been mentioned in 2-3 properties.
And WotC has been discussing the as-yet-unseen First World setting where the most iconic D&Disms apparently first "really" appeared and now just echo through the multiverse.

It's both a way for you to include the Tomb of Horrors in the Forgotten Realms and a possible way for them to create a D&D's Greatest Hits stable of iconic characters and settings, all in one place. Vecna is certainly going to be among them.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
And WotC has been discussing the as-yet-unseen First World setting where the most iconic D&Disms apparently first "really" appeared and now just echo through the multiverse.

It's both a way for you to include the Tomb of Horrors in the Forgotten Realms and a possible way for them to create a D&D's Greatest Hits stable of iconic characters and settings, all in one place. Vecna is certainly going to be among them.
Yawn.

I would they rather make a number of series, each set in a different, thematically distinct setting.

D&D - The Dragonlance Campaign
D&D - The Ebberon Campaign
D&D - The Dark Sun Campaign
D&D - The Ravnica Camaign

"First World" just sounds like a mashup of Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk, taking cool bits can characters from other settings.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yawn.

I would they rather make a number of series, each set in a different, thematically distinct setting.

D&D - The Dragonlance Campaign
D&D - The Ebberon Campaign
D&D - The Dark Sun Campaign
D&D - The Ravnica Camaign

"First World" just sounds like a mashup of Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk, taking cool bits can characters from other settings.
If they ever get the D&D TV series out the door, this might happen. But good fantasy TV series are rarer than good fantasy movies, and those are still plenty rare. I wouldn't clear your TV-viewing schedule for a Ravnica show any time soon.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
If they ever get the D&D TV series out the door, this might happen. But good fantasy TV series are rarer than good fantasy movies, and those are still plenty rare. I wouldn't clear your TV-viewing schedule for a Ravnica show any time soon.
Point taken. I've read that there are plans for a D&D TV series. If that moves forward, I just hope the setting it takes place is more flavorful than plain fantasy vanilla.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Point taken. I've read that there are plans for a D&D TV series. If that moves forward, I just hope the setting it takes place is more flavorful than plain fantasy vanilla.
I say this with no pleasure, but the first officially branded D&D TV series (as opposed to the Legend of Vox Machina) is all but guaranteed to take place in the Forgotten Realms.

Remove ads