Are we on the cusp of a Tabletop Hollywood moment?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
HBO just did Lovecraft Country but pulled it after one season. How long ago was Fringe? Are we due for another government agents vs horror show already? I could see a lot of properties becoming anime or western cartoons like VM. But the trouble with most of those is there’s no ready-made story to pull from. I think that’s why comics adapt so well, generally. There are characters well known and beloved for generations. Everyone knows Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man. Who’s the character from those properties with that kind of cultural penetration? None. Like the Battleship movie. There’s a game many have played, but there’s no characters or stories ready to adapt.
Fringe was more akin to X-files than horror, and since Lovecraft Country was pulled so early, I don't really think we can count that show. I think a government vs. horror show could do well.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
They already tried the WoD thing. "True Blood" was better.

True Blood was also WoD in all but name. Princes, councils, original mother, werewolves, fey, etc. The major difference was that the vampires went public. They even had an ancient vampire find Golconda and then kill himself in the sun.

Ryujin

Legend
I don't know that one. What is it about? And is it good?
In the Doctor Who universe The Torchwood Institute is a UK government (?) agency, founded by Queen Victoria, that looks into the same sort of issues that The Doctor handles. It's led by Captain Jack Harkness and, as Payne said, more adult themed.

Ryujin

Legend
True Blood was also WoD in all but name. Princes, councils, original mother, werewolves, fey, etc. The major difference was that the vampires went public. They even had an ancient vampire find Golconda and then kill himself in the sun.
That's because there really isn't much that's novel about the world of "Vampire: The Masquerade." It's the sort of thing that has existed in many novels and TV shows before, and after.

Remove ads