Are we on the cusp of a Tabletop Hollywood moment?

RivetGeekWil

Lead developer Tribes in the Dark
But to make it definitive, let's list the properties we know are in development or have been optioned:

There are more I know about (for example, I know iHunt was on the table, but that fell through).

Is it some stratospheric increase in TTRPG properties that are getting optioned? No, especially not when compared to the number of other properties that are getting gobbled up. But comparatively, yes in the last year or so the interest in developing tabletop RPG properties has increased quite a bit.

Ryujin

Legend
And the other thing is... Hollywood is full of gamers. I'm not just taking actors. Directors, producers, writers. Critical Role is a product of this.

I never suggested that it was huge and "chomping at the bit". Just pushing back on the notion that because there was True Blood, there's no need for (or interest) in WoD-based media (or that comparing it to Kindred: the Embraced, which was made before the Stackhouse novels even existed, is even a good comparison). But the thing is that a WoD-based TV show as of last year is already in development. So apparently the interest was there.
Please let me disabuse you of a certain notion. I never said that because "Kindred: The Embraced" existed that it could never be done again. I also never said that because "True Blood" was made, another VtM property could not be made. I indicated that a VtM property had already been made and that "True Blood" was better. Anything more is something that you read into my comment.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Any flavorful* rpg that taps in to any zeitgeist or is reminiscent of anything else that was successful would be of interest to streaming services looking for content and IP. Given the scale of the rpg biz, optioning an rpg for adaptation would cost a lot less than optioning a book series. For similar reasons, it would also be easy to just steal some ideas from a flavorful rpg.

* Some mix of tone/vibe, setting, era, genre, art style

Ryujin

Legend
Any flavorful* rpg that taps in to any zeitgeist or is reminiscent of anything else that was successful would be of interest to streaming services looking for content and IP. Given the scale of the rpg biz, optioning an rpg for adaptation would cost a lot less than optioning a book series. For similar reasons, it would also be easy to just steal some ideas from a flavorful rpg.

* Some mix of tone/vibe, setting, era, genre, art style
And production companies option stuff all the time, though it rarely gets used. Oh, for the days when Netflix was giving pretty much anyone at least one season.

RivetGeekWil

Lead developer Tribes in the Dark
Please let me disabuse you of a certain notion. I never said that because "Kindred: The Embraced" existed that it could never be done again. I also never said that because "True Blood" was made, another VtM property could not be made. I indicated that a VtM property had already been made and that "True Blood" was better. Anything more is something that you read into my comment.
The implication is still that because it had been done once, 25 years ago, that it can't be done again. Except, it is being done again.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Huh. There’s a reason the first property Marvel did as a movie was Iron Man. They sold the rights to Spider-Man, X-Men, and the FF so they could launch the MCU. And they picked Iron Man as the first to go. He’s not 2nd tier.
Iron Man was definitely second tier. The general public had no idea who he was, other than it was either going to be Robert Downey Jr.'s comeback vehicle or we'd watch the real life alcoholic play an alcoholic on the big screen and wince a bit.

Marvel's top tier were Spider-Man and X-Men, and that's it. The MCU has made household names of second and third tier characters (not you, Eternals), but they sure didn't start off that way.

Remove ads