Are you a fudging fudger?

Are you a fudging fudger?

• I am primarily a GM, and I sometimes ignore or alter the die roll result.

Votes: 69 58.0%
  • I am primarily a GM, and I never ignore or alter the die roll result.

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • I am primarily a player, and I don't mind if my GM ignores or alters a die roll result.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I am primarily a player, and I prefer it if the GM never ignores or alters a die roll result.

Votes: 10 8.4%

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Parameters:

(1) Playing an RPG.
(2) During combat or other adversarial outcome-resolution event.
(3) The outcome resolution involves the rolling of dice (or other random result generation).

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I wish there were more options here, or some sort of middle ground. I'm primarily a DM, and I never fudge dice in combat. I occasionally change results on random encounter tables or the like to suit the flow of my particular game, but I don't consider that fudging dice so much as doing it in combat.

As a player, I'm solidly camped on option four.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I try to get as much fudging into a single encounter as I possibly can. I wonder if that makes me a ....

Must. Not. Make. Inappropriate. Sophomoric. Comments. Only. I. Think. Are. Funny.

B-)

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Must. Not. Make. Inappropriate. Sophomoric. Comments. Only. I. Think. Are. Funny.
FWIW, I think it's funny. But don't be reassured, because I'm almost surrealistically inappropriate and often sophomoric.

And yeah, the poll choices are very restrictive deliberately. I'm primarily interested in the bright-line data they'll produce, rather than increasingly narrow nuances. That's not in any way a statement that nuance doesn't really exist, or isn't worth discussing, it's just not what I'm curious about, poll-wise.

For the other stuff, there's the "Fudging for Fun and Profit" thread, which I have found very interesting.

Ariosto

First Post
Lately, my case is "player, prefer no fudging". The current DM, though, manipulates situations every which way.

%o0O
I_____TTT
|_)_)_\HH_ [:::::]_
/)o-O--O=O_%_%_

Davachido

Explorer
I am mostly a player, but GM sometimes as well and I don't mind if the die rolls are fudged a bit if either I as a player am having bad luck or one of my players is.

Since being on the unlucky side of dice ALL the time can really suck.

As a DM once the dice come out I use the results as rolled. There are situations that sometimes call for a roll that I will use judgement to decide instead. The dice are there for determining outcomes when there is significant doubt.

As a player I want to succeed or fail on my own. Being artificially preserved for story reasons will cause me to lose interest in the game.

Cyronax

Explorer
I normally DM. I also homebrew a lot of monsters.

If I fudge a die roll ... its only when its behind the DM screen. That said, I typically roll dice in front of my players.

Soooo... I guess I fudge part time.

C.I.D.

Siberys

Adventurer
One trick I've learned is to just roll dice when it seems dramatically important - it doesn't matter if the roll doesn't actually mean anything. The players walk into a cobweb-filled room, frex. I'd roll, and than say exactly what I would have said anyways.

Artificially increase tension and all that.

I fudge die rolls in combat mostly if a character seems to be getting wailed on too hard, though - several crits in a row, that sort of thing.

Benimoto

First Post
I probably have fudged from time to time, but I try as a general rule to avoid it. As a DM, I'll sometimes make non-dice-related fudges, such as lowering or raising monster HP totals to produce the effect I want. I generally try to do that before the session, but sometimes a little improv with monster stats creeps in.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Let the dice fall where they may else why use them in the first place and yes that is rhetorical. :)

Also, this is what I prefer as a player. 'FUN' be damned; that is fun, for us.

Woas

First Post
I used to fudge dice in the very early stages of my GMing career. But lately I do not change or alter dice rolls at all, nor do I idly roll dice to create pseudo-anxiety. I find those two practices very silly and detract from the game.

Hussar

Legend
Now that I play online over Maptools or OpenRPG, I roll 100% in the open except for a very few rolls which are still logged in the transcripts.

Needless to say, I don't fudge die rolls.

pawsplay

Banned
Banned
In 25 years, I cannot think of an occasion where I fudged a die. The closest I've come is rolling the dice when in fact I have already decided on a particular result, and the dice are just there to make noise and distract the players. While I occasionally make use of fiat, I like to be honest with myself when I roll the dice for real.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I'll fudge a die roll to avoid PC death by dumb unluck (eg, by a completely random encounter), or to push an interesting player idea from "it almost worked" into the "it worked" zone.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
It depends on the mood I'm in and the mood of the game realy. Also, how good/bad the PCs are doing.

There have been a couple points where I rolled the dice for the soul purpose of letting the players hear that dice have been rolled, then I just say a number (basically to hit or miss at a whim).

I don't fudge to kill PCs though... with the minor exception of if I caught them fudging their rolls, then they are free game.

I guess I'd put myself in the middle because of this.

An Advertisement

Advertisement4