Are you a fudging fudger?

Are you a fudging fudger?

• I am primarily a GM, and I sometimes ignore or alter the die roll result.

Votes: 69 58.0%
  • I am primarily a GM, and I never ignore or alter the die roll result.

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • I am primarily a player, and I don't mind if my GM ignores or alters a die roll result.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I am primarily a player, and I prefer it if the GM never ignores or alters a die roll result.

Votes: 10 8.4%

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Parameters:

(1) Playing an RPG.
(2) During combat or other adversarial outcome-resolution event.
(3) The outcome resolution involves the rolling of dice (or other random result generation).

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I wish there were more options here, or some sort of middle ground. I'm primarily a DM, and I never fudge dice in combat. I occasionally change results on random encounter tables or the like to suit the flow of my particular game, but I don't consider that fudging dice so much as doing it in combat.

As a player, I'm solidly camped on option four.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I try to get as much fudging into a single encounter as I possibly can. I wonder if that makes me a ....

Must. Not. Make. Inappropriate. Sophomoric. Comments. Only. I. Think. Are. Funny.

B-)

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Must. Not. Make. Inappropriate. Sophomoric. Comments. Only. I. Think. Are. Funny.
FWIW, I think it's funny. But don't be reassured, because I'm almost surrealistically inappropriate and often sophomoric.

And yeah, the poll choices are very restrictive deliberately. I'm primarily interested in the bright-line data they'll produce, rather than increasingly narrow nuances. That's not in any way a statement that nuance doesn't really exist, or isn't worth discussing, it's just not what I'm curious about, poll-wise.

For the other stuff, there's the "Fudging for Fun and Profit" thread, which I have found very interesting.

Ariosto

First Post
Lately, my case is "player, prefer no fudging". The current DM, though, manipulates situations every which way.

%o0O
I_____TTT
|_)_)_\HH_ [:::::]_
/)o-O--O=O_%_%_

Davachido

Explorer
I am mostly a player, but GM sometimes as well and I don't mind if the die rolls are fudged a bit if either I as a player am having bad luck or one of my players is.

Since being on the unlucky side of dice ALL the time can really suck.

As a DM once the dice come out I use the results as rolled. There are situations that sometimes call for a roll that I will use judgement to decide instead. The dice are there for determining outcomes when there is significant doubt.

As a player I want to succeed or fail on my own. Being artificially preserved for story reasons will cause me to lose interest in the game.

Cyronax

Explorer
I normally DM. I also homebrew a lot of monsters.

If I fudge a die roll ... its only when its behind the DM screen. That said, I typically roll dice in front of my players.

Soooo... I guess I fudge part time.

C.I.D.

Siberys

Adventurer
One trick I've learned is to just roll dice when it seems dramatically important - it doesn't matter if the roll doesn't actually mean anything. The players walk into a cobweb-filled room, frex. I'd roll, and than say exactly what I would have said anyways.

Artificially increase tension and all that.

I fudge die rolls in combat mostly if a character seems to be getting wailed on too hard, though - several crits in a row, that sort of thing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases