Are you a fudging fudger?

Are you a fudging fudger?

• I am primarily a GM, and I sometimes ignore or alter the die roll result.

Votes: 69 58.0%
  • I am primarily a GM, and I never ignore or alter the die roll result.

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • I am primarily a player, and I don't mind if my GM ignores or alters a die roll result.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I am primarily a player, and I prefer it if the GM never ignores or alters a die roll result.

Votes: 10 8.4%

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
When I DMed my 3e game, I would fudge more often at low levels; usually making a critical hit into a non-critical since a critical could easily drop a PC with a single blow. As the PCs grew stronger and more able, the fudging diminished.

The Shaman

First Post
It just seems that there are a few internet personalities that don't like the fact that some people can have fun with their game system and might, on rare occasion, fudge the dice.
So then you must be one of those people who don't like the fact that some people can have fun with their game system without feeling the need, even on rare occasions, to fudge the dice, right?

Or maybe, just maybe, we shouldn't assign malign motives to people with whom we disagree.

Ariosto

First Post
Jeff Wilder said:
67% of GMs fudge, but 60% of players say they'd prefer no fudging.
We don't know how those are matched up. The non-fudging GMs could have more players, so that the problem of a mis-match is more rare than that might suggest.

Then again, sometimes (e.g., lately) I go for a less interesting game because it's a convenient opportunity to be a character-player rather than GM, and the rest of the socializing carries enough interest.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
67% of GMs fudge, but 60% of players say they'd prefer no fudging.

A personal anecdote...

I'm putting together a new group - made mostly of people with whom I've little or no gaming experience. Asking their position on fudging is part of my "getting to know what you want in a game" discussions.

Six players asked: None have any problem with GM Fiat on rules interpretation or calls. None have any problem with occasional GM fudging of dice rolls. One spontaneously added "...but I'd prefer you not tell me about it."

My takeaway is that polling EN World is not terrifically meaningful - what matters isn't gamers in general, but your people in specific.

catsclaw227

First Post
So then you must be one of those people who don't like the fact that some people can have fun with their game system without feeling the need, even on rare occasions, to fudge the dice, right?
Absolutely not. I didn't fudge dice for a long time. And I could care less with how other DMs run their game as long as the players are having fun.

I mention what I like, I don't harp on or debate with what other people like or don't like. Simple.

Or maybe, just maybe, we shouldn't assign malign motives to people with whom we disagree.
Malign motives? What in my post suggested that? I did state that there are some internet personalities that don't like that others play a game they way they want. This isn't news.... just read the threads here around the edition war. There are many examples.

Did you feeling that I was singling you out? Hmmm.... that's odd.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Is fudging really the best way, or the only way, to solve these problems?

Certainly not the only way. The question of "best" is not a general one - what's good for me may not be good for you.

Whatever else is said for or against it - fudging is an incredibly fast and simple way to deal with some problems. Almost all other methods require more work somewhere along the way, implicitly or explicitly. That doesn't make it overall "best", but may make it a good alternative for many.

The Shaman

First Post
Malign motives? What in my post suggested that?
Suggesting that some gamers "don't like the fact that some people can have fun" playing differently is offering a malign motive to those who have a simple disagreement about playstyles.

When I took your same question and reversed it, your reply was, "Absolutely not." Would you expect your orginal question to be answered differently by someone else?

catsclaw227

First Post
Suggesting that some gamers "don't like the fact that some people can have fun" playing differently is offering a malign motive to those who have a simple disagreement about playstyles.

When I took your same question and reversed it, your reply was, "Absolutely not." Would you expect your orginal question to be answered differently by someone else?
I didn't assume that you had malign intent when you asked the question. You apparently did feel there was malign intent when there wasn't any.

My response was that I have very clear and positive feeling about the fact that people can have fun playing the game they want and how they want. That feeling is absolute. If you don't fudge the dice that's awesome for you and your group if that is what they like!

There isn't some malign motive in my posts. I am an optimist and wish all gamers the best games they can have.

Remove ads