Are you a fudging fudger?

Are you a fudging fudger?

• I am primarily a GM, and I sometimes ignore or alter the die roll result.

Votes: 69 58.0%
  • I am primarily a GM, and I never ignore or alter the die roll result.

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • I am primarily a player, and I don't mind if my GM ignores or alters a die roll result.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I am primarily a player, and I prefer it if the GM never ignores or alters a die roll result.

Votes: 10 8.4%

Benimoto

First Post
I probably have fudged from time to time, but I try as a general rule to avoid it. As a DM, I'll sometimes make non-dice-related fudges, such as lowering or raising monster HP totals to produce the effect I want. I generally try to do that before the session, but sometimes a little improv with monster stats creeps in.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Let the dice fall where they may else why use them in the first place and yes that is rhetorical. :)

Also, this is what I prefer as a player. 'FUN' be damned; that is fun, for us.

Woas

First Post
I used to fudge dice in the very early stages of my GMing career. But lately I do not change or alter dice rolls at all, nor do I idly roll dice to create pseudo-anxiety. I find those two practices very silly and detract from the game.

Hussar

Legend
Now that I play online over Maptools or OpenRPG, I roll 100% in the open except for a very few rolls which are still logged in the transcripts.

Needless to say, I don't fudge die rolls.

pawsplay

Hero
In 25 years, I cannot think of an occasion where I fudged a die. The closest I've come is rolling the dice when in fact I have already decided on a particular result, and the dice are just there to make noise and distract the players. While I occasionally make use of fiat, I like to be honest with myself when I roll the dice for real.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I'll fudge a die roll to avoid PC death by dumb unluck (eg, by a completely random encounter), or to push an interesting player idea from "it almost worked" into the "it worked" zone.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
It depends on the mood I'm in and the mood of the game realy. Also, how good/bad the PCs are doing.

There have been a couple points where I rolled the dice for the soul purpose of letting the players hear that dice have been rolled, then I just say a number (basically to hit or miss at a whim).

I don't fudge to kill PCs though... with the minor exception of if I caught them fudging their rolls, then they are free game.

I guess I'd put myself in the middle because of this.

Remove ads