D&D 5E Are you buying less 5e Material?

Are you buying less D&D 5e material than you did when 5e was newer?

• I am buying more but it's mostly due to 3rd party material

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I am buying more while at least the same if not more comes from WOTC

Votes: 14 11.2%
  • I am buying the same but more of it is coming from 3rd parties instead of WOTC

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • I am buying the same while at least the same portion if not more comes from WOTC

Votes: 22 17.6%
  • I am buying less

Votes: 68 54.4%

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
My last WotC book was Fizban's, and I don't expect to get anything else from them except possibly Spelljammer. My purchases have been mostly Level Up stuff and a few specific other 3PP products (i plan on getting the Midnight update). I've felt for a while now that WotC is moving away from what I liked about 5e, but there's plenty out there from others that fits in my wheelhouse, so I wish those who are enjoying WotC's new direction happy gaming!

Argyle King

Legend
I can't remember the last thing I bought.
I know I'm in the minority, but my buying slowed pretty early on. When I got the impression that the game would be changing in a few years, it stopped.

Ouch. 65% of people are buying less 5e stuff from WOC.
65% of people on ENWorld in this thread. ENWorld skews old and traditional.

Honestly the biggest factor has been the end of the pandemic.
I used to buy and love everything. Up to and including Rime of the Frostmaiden. I feel that the last two years have been a real disappointment and they’ve strayed from the winning formula for me. Nothing I’ve seen looks like they’re coming back to it.
A big part of that is that if you keep endlessly producing the same stuff the well will eventually run dry - and you'll sell the new stuff to fewer and fewer people.
I’m not sure what would make me buy something now? Of the likely possibilities only Dark Sun would really catch my attention. Or a tight adventure book that property developed a place and set of characters.
Agreed about Dark Sun - and I think it is a definite possibility because there's no other D&D setting that does the embattled area the way it does and none with its aesthetics. And this is what WotC are looking for in new setting books?
Perhaps another Tasha’s if it wasn’t too weird.
And this is part of the problem with splatbooks. Either (a) they have to get steadily weirder as time goes on or (b) they have to be more and more niche as time goes on because they weren't either mainstream enough or strong enough concepts to get in the previous book.
Tasha's and Ravenloft killed my interest in WOTCs D&D 5e output.
Tastes vary. They (and Wild beyond the Witchlight) where my interest in WotC's 5e output started. Everything with the arguable exception of Strahd before that felt like warmed over versions of previous editions' offerings.

CrashFiend82

Explorer
I was just thinking about this the other day. Since start of Covid and playing less I have been chugging my way through the old TRS modules converting them to 5E. I have a good number of older edition hard and soft covers but for conversion purposes PDFs work so much easier. Either convert to word or copy/paste sections into word and make my changes. I haven't stopped to add up the total I've spent between DM's Guild or Drive Thru and was contemplating doing so to see what I have spent. It feels so much cheaper getting a PDF for $10 than a book for $30 but I buy more often and am likely spending as much. I assume much of the purchase ends up with WOTC so that begs the question how much am I spending with WOTC for 5E, even though they are not 5E products. I will have to do the math sometime this week and determine (though I realize not the spending OP was asking about).

aco175

Legend
I do not buy that much to start with. I will likely buy the new box set and maybe Saltmarsh once we finish the box or another adventure if one comes out that strikes me. Mostly waiting for the 2024 update.

I’m not buying any new 5E products. I’m in the process of sunsetting 5E as a game system for my campaigns.

I’ll probably keep one game going, but any new campaigns will be something else.

There is just too many great games out there that should be played and do things I like better than 5E.

Remove ads