D&D 5E Are you buying less 5e Material?

Are you buying less D&D 5e material than you did when 5e was newer?

• I am buying more but it's mostly due to 3rd party material

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I am buying more while at least the same if not more comes from WOTC

Votes: 14 11.2%
  • I am buying the same but more of it is coming from 3rd parties instead of WOTC

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • I am buying the same while at least the same portion if not more comes from WOTC

Votes: 22 17.6%
  • I am buying less

Votes: 68 54.4%

Li Shenron

Legend
Are you buying less 5e material?
I voted "same" but I feel ridiculous because not counting the core 3 books, I have only bought 2 books so far (Volo and Xanathar), and I pretty much disliked all new rules and character material after them. But recently I had a chance to browse Theros and I know I am going to buy that in the near future. Which got me thinking, that I probably should check out other setting books.

In all seriousness. Core books were provided to me to co-run a game way back when.

So effectively no purchases then and none since!

Wait. I bought the core books for someone else at release. So that counts I guess?

Voadam

Legend
It has not changed for me for years, only the occasional birthday or Christmas gift for WotC 5e stuff. I still regularly buy a bunch of old edition WotC PDFs and 3rd party 5e PDFs.

The last 5e book I received as a gift was Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse which arrived day of release.

The Last 5e WotC book I bought as a gift was the Feywild Adventure one last year.

The last WotC 5e book I got for me was the free Acquisitions Inc. on D&D Beyond. I am not sure I bought any of the 5e WotC books for myself as opposed to getting them as gifts over the years. Maybe one or two of the core books or the starter set.

The last WotC book I bought was the PDF of Races of Stone on Thursday.

The last 5e book I bought was The Carceri Bestiary PDF on DMs Guild about two weeks ago.

G

Guest 7034872

I'll talk about two different forms of investment: (a) investment of money and (b) investment of time. In my case, D&D has always involved high levels of (b) and low levels of (a) compared to most hobbies. Today, I'd say, that holds doubly true (or would if truth could be doubled, which it cannot). I spend money on it so infrequently that I cannot reliably measure whether it's gone up or down recently. Time spent, though, has gone up a ton.

briggart

Adventurer
I've pretty much stopped buying with Tasha. After that I've only got Witchlight and Netherdeep. Before then, I had bought most everything published by WotC starting from Curse of Strahd, with a couple of exceptions (Theros, Undermountain).

If the Dark Sun or Planescape came out I will very likely buy them, but for the rest I feel I'm set. I still have a backlog of adventures, and I don't think the 5e design space (or maybe design philosophy) leaves a lot of room for innovative expansion, so I don't expect to buy a lot of what WotC will publish between here and the 50th anniversary.

I am buying about the same from WotC (2, sometimes 3 books per year) but more from 3PP over the last few years (Kickstarters by EN Publishing, MCDM, Kobold Press, Sly Flourish, and Adam Kammer as well as some select stuff from DMsGuild/DriveThruRPG).

G

Guest 7034872

I am buying less 5e stuff now - not out of reduced desire to own new stuff, but I have a smaller income since my wife died last year.
Composer99, I'm really sorry to read that. There have been so many losses suffered by so many in the last few years, but loss of a spouse--that is just so hard.

Scottius

Adventurer
Tasha's and Ravenloft killed my interest in WOTCs D&D 5e output. I am buying/kick-starting quite a bit of 5e material from 3pp. Especially Kobold Press, Goodman Games, and Nord Games. It's made up the difference if not more so.

Remove ads