• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are you looking forward to Magic of Incarnum?

tetsujin28

First Post
So, what the dickens is this thing? I took a look at it in my FLGS, and darned if I could figure it out. New human races that are...just like humans. Locations that have never been named before. Is it a setting book? Another 'alternate PH' like Iron Heroes or Arcana Unearthed? A book just adding another version of 'magic'? I can't tell.

tetsujin28

First Post
Psion said:
Were I to try to write a d20 version of Mystic China, a dedicated Chi system would be great. Of course, I wouldn't hesitate to re-use elements of psionics that fit, which in my perception are many.
And they could work just fine, as evidenced by Barsoomcore's Stewardess story hour.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
tetsujin28 said:
So, what the dickens is this thing? I took a look at it in my FLGS, and darned if I could figure it out. New human races that are...just like humans. Locations that have never been named before. Is it a setting book? Another 'alternate PH' like Iron Heroes or Arcana Unearthed? A book just adding another version of 'magic'? I can't tell.
Never heard of the Wizards of the Coast website?

In any case, it's a "capsystem" book adding another form of magic - like the Expanded Psionics Handbook. The classes focus on persistent, item-like magical effects that can be enhanced and altered depending on where they are "worn" on the body or how they are used, as well as with the investment of personal soul energy - "essentia" - which can be used by normal classes to power feats and whatnot the same way that psionic power points are used by psionic feats. The difference appears to be that while one spends power points for a one-time effect, essentia is temporarily assigned to various effects and can be reassigned as necessary.

This I can tell you from just what I've learned online. I've gone nowhere near a copy of the book.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads