• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

are you more interested in 5e or numenera?

5e or numenera

Emerikol

Adventurer
I think a lot of you are missing what numenera is doing.

It is science fiction with magic. The magic is ostensibly hyper advanced technology but that's pretty loose. Also I don't know that it's the kind of post apocalyptic that some of you are thinking. Like 13th Age has 13 eras of civilization each of which is buried in the strata of the earth waiting to be dug up, numenera has 9 great civilizations for the same purpose.

I also think the game will go to the stars quick enough. But at this point in time who knows if that means space ships. It might just be teleportation via portable wormhole or something. It's wide open what you can do. In a way I think this game could be like spelljammer in some ways.

I also disagree with the class arguments. I do agree that classes or not lead to different types of games though. 3e/4e/5e adopted the hybrid approach which seems interesting to me. Classes with other things to vary your options (feats, skills, traits, etc..)

Scribble

First Post
I've always liked the concept of Thundar The Barbarian style post apocalyptic gaming... So Numenera sounds cool.

I for one am most happy that a lot of different types of games are hitting the market.

I like variety and choice.

Animal

First Post
I'm more interested in D&DNext for now mostly because we've seen a score of sneak-peaks on it and i liked a lot of what i've seen so far. Can't say i know anything about Numenera except a very rough and barely informative overview. So it all may change as both projects progress.

Dausuul

Legend
I think a lot of you are missing what numenera is doing.

It is science fiction with magic. The magic is ostensibly hyper advanced technology but that's pretty loose.

I strongly dislike settings that feel compelled to dress up magic by pretending it's hyper-tech. What typically results is a whole bunch of strained, hard-to-believe excuses for why this technology just happens to look like wizards and dragons.

As far as I'm concerned, tech is tech and should be treated on its own terms. If you want wizards and dragons, have wizards and dragons. If you want wizards and dragons and tech, have wizards and dragons and tech. Kevin Siembada has been making a living off that for twenty years.

Anyway, while I respect Monte Cook and admire some of the stuff his company has produced (Iron Heroes, for instance), I'm not a huge fan of Cook's own work. Nothing wrong with it, his particular aesthetic and design approach just don't blow my skirt up. I have reservations about 5E, but I like Mike Mearls's approach and I have been pretty happy with his previous work, including the aforementioned Iron Heroes.

Scribble

First Post
I'm not a huge fan of Cook's own work. Nothing wrong with it, his particular aesthetic and design approach just don't blow my skirt up.

I've always been more of a fan of Monte's Flavor text then his rules crunch. His descriptions are always fun to read, and spark my imagination like crazy, but his rules tend to be... cumbersome? In my opinion.

B.T.

First Post
Kickstarter says that it's going to focus on story rather than mechanics, which tells me (a) it's going to have junk mechanics, and (b) it's going to incorporate storygame elements.

Not interested.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads