Are you planning a spookier Halloween session?

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Question for the DMs and GMs out there:

Do you run any special games around October that are spookier than normal? Do you run a horror one-shot, or inject a few more scares into your weekly session, to celebrate the "spooky season?"

AlexJ

Villager
I'm running a two-shot that ends this week and I'm trying to make it spookier than usual. It's hard because fantasy characters already live spooky lives where they fight monsters and the undead. I find that it helps to use really scary pictures of monsters, and I love the ones from Peterson's Field Guide to Lovecraftian Horrors. (Another thing: there was another thread a week ago where I posted a link to the adventure I'm running, in case that helps.)

MGibster

Legend
Unfortunately, no. When I picked up Alien earlier this year I planned on running it for Halloween, but due to our present circumstances, I am not gaming face-to-face. My current D&D campaign involves the PCs stopping an outer god from manifesting on the prime material plane, maybe that's Halloweeny enough?

Retreater

Legend
Well, my timing wasn't perfect and they had the climactic showdown with Strahd last week, after bypassing a few traps and other encounters. So we'll be starting a fresh campaign this week. But I hope it's suitably creepy. I know a few of my players have a spider phobia, so I've created a new monster called a puppeteer spider, which takes a corpse and animates it like a zombie ("Weekend at Bernies" style). And it talks through the corpse and everything. Hopefully it will also get a PC if its first corpse-shield is destroyed.

Definitely! I always try to make things a little creepier this time of year (not that I generally need a reason to use more undead in my games!). Both of the sessions for my group that plays twice a month were spooky - the one had a Scooby-Doo-style haunted house (that was actually the result of a giant owlbear with glowing eyes based on the Great Owl in The Secret of Nimh) and the other was built around a hag named Baba Pustinayaa. Both featured in-game Halloween-equivalent holiday activities, too).

My weekly group is going to get to play through this year's AL Liars Night pumpkin carving contest encounter. We're currently in the middle of a serious battle, so I want something a little lighter after we get through that.

Remove ads