D&D General Are You Seriously Planning to Stop Playing and/or Running D&D Over The Recent OGL Developments?

Are You Seriously Planning to Stop Playing and/or Running D&D Over he Recent OGL Developments?

• Yes

Votes: 95 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 122 56.2%

Bagpuss

Legend
The Poll is a bit misleading as you don't even have to stop playing to effect WotC bottom line.

Just cancel and DDB subscription and go with the books you've got.

I'm not playing DnD currently, but I imagine I will play it again, but I don't need to buy anything else from them, certainly all interest in OneDnD has died, why change to a system that is going to be less supported than the current one?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I don't think I'll stop playing and running D&D. Stop buying WotC materials - yes. And I will probably stop running Adventurer's League at Gamehole Con if things continue to shake out badly (but that's months away).

I still like the game, particularly 5e. But I don't have to support WotC with either my money or public outreach.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I expect that, if/when an awful license comes out, I'll stop buying new WotC content until they change their minds.

Playing with what I already have, though, would be fine by me.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
As I have said many times before, WotC may own the D&D license but they don't (and no one can) own D&D as a concept and folk activity. Whatever fantasy RPG I run or play is going to be "D&D" in some way (and owes its existence to D&D). Me and my group only started 5E a few years ago, so we are far from tired of it (we are only just now gonna start a second campaign and be more open to non-core stuff) but will we switch to One D&D and will I buy more WotC stuff? Maybe if I find it in the used discount bin but not if that money is going to WotC. My group does not use DnD Beyond and are generally open to whatever rules and system I suggest - so we're good from now until death come for us, either using stuff we've already bought or stuff we make up ourselves or trying one one of the newer games that will come out (that will still be "D&D" in my eyes).

Even my casual players texted me to ask about this kerfuffle and express dismay at what WotC was doing, which to me is a good indicator of the depth of dissatisfaction WotC is dealing with.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I'll play whatever game I play.
What I will (continue to) avoid is D&D as "lifestyle brand." It's my game and my hobby, thank you. It's not a swollen money udder to be mercilessly milked by soulless corpos.

Looks like I’m the lone dissenter here.

While my enthusiasm for D&D has been dampened, I intend to continue to run and play 5e and will continue to purchase the 5e books I like (or receive them as gifts). I am also open to giving 1D&D a look when it is finished.

I am not intending to cancel my DDB subscription at this time.

I will also go see the movie and probably watch the TV show.

I have never been much of a 3PP supporter and this is unlikely to change going forward.

Yes, I do feel some guilt about my position but not enough to change it.
Exactly this. I will continue to play and purchase any WotC product that interests me (and several this year do).

I understand the concerns some have with the OGL, but I really think it's gotten overblown a bit in this forum, where we have a huge amount of threads on the subject, to the detriment of all other subjects...

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Yes, if the new OGL is as problematic as the leaked draft..

I'm also a publisher, and won't run for a system I can't also publish for. I'll still play an RPG, just not D&D.

Remove ads