D&D 5E Arguments about if the help action breaks invisibility. This is the second title. A third title, Thread = Dead.

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
So a warlock can take Pact of The Chain to get an invisible familiar which against creatures that don’t have a blindsense or truesight means no AoO against them, can’t get killed by Magic Missile and sight based abilities. If you took a level of Cleric or Magic Initiate (Cleric/Artificier possibly) you then can cast sanctuary on your Familiar. Is there any buffs to have it not die as often in combat besides these?

If you took a level of Cleric or Magic Initiate
Or a Divine Soul Sorcerer. A one level dip as a Divine Soul Sorcerer can grant access to Sanctuary and Shield of Faith.
At low level the 10 minute concentration limit means it can last for multiple encounters in a fast paced scenario. The bonus action to cast is gravy.

That would take the Imp to AC 15. At low tier an AC 15 Invisible Imp, taking the Dodge action is going to be a challenge for goblins to hit, at least.

Or a Divine Soul Sorcerer. A one level dip as a Divine Soul Sorcerer can grant access to Sanctuary and Shield of Faith.
At low level the 10 minute concentration limit means it can last for multiple encounters in a fast paced scenario. The bonus action to cast is gravy.

That would take the Imp to AC 15. At low tier an AC 15 Invisible Imp, taking the Dodge action is going to be a challenge for goblins to hit, at least.
I'd say having the familiar do a 'help' action would break invisibility and Sanctuary. I see it as the equivalent to an attack.

But, if you're going to go Divine Soul Sorcerer, cast an Aid spell at a higher level slot. Giving you and your familiar 5 to 15 max hit points is pretty nice. And it lasts for 8 hours.

Out of morbid curiosity, what does any of this have to do with the title of the thread???
I'm assuming ways to keep it alive while allowing it to do the Help action???

Short answer: Use an Owl. (flyby attack)

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
The advantage goes away as soon as the familiar dies.
Yes, but how is the familiar providing advantage is the underlying question. To use the help action in combat requires to you help in attacking the target. This voids Invisibility (although not Improved Invisibility). Is this the issue you're seeking help in mitigating?

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
I'd say having the familiar do a 'help' action would break invisibility and Sanctuary. I see it as the equivalent to an attack.

But, if you're going to go Divine Soul Sorcerer, cast an Aid spell at a higher level slot. Giving you and your familiar 5 to 15 max hit points is pretty nice. And it lasts for 8 hours.

I'm assuming ways to keep it alive while allowing it to do the Help action???

Short answer: Use an Owl. (flyby attack)
Help Action isn’t an attack or spell. Invisibility stays up. Flyby Owl has the issue of being killed by magic missile that spell is a guaranteed hit, and invisibility is mimicking it. I also doubt that the party’s arcane casters would want to use up there concentration on an invisibility spell.

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
Yes, but how is the familiar providing advantage is the underlying question. To use the help action in combat requires to you help in attacking the target. This voids Invisibility (although not Improved Invisibility). Is this the issue you're seeking help in mitigating?
The stat block attached says that invisibility breaks if it casts a spell or attacks. Nothing about the help action. Invisibility is at the bottom. The issue I have is there are ways around invisibility. The invisible familiar dies easily against Truesight and Blindsenses. If they are on the ground then also tremorsense. All of these don’t care about invisibility.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases