Arguments and assumptions against multi classing

Grognerd

Explorer

5ekyu

Hero
I wpuld not say one way or the other if Odin is Omniscient or not - likely varies by setting.

But the Fiend-Paladin of Odin thing creates a pretty binary choice to the Gm.

Either

Odin doesnt know and isnt omniscient

Or

Odin does know and is ok with it and allows it to continue

Well ok maybe a third...

Odin knows, is not ok with it but is unable to do anything about it.

Those seem to be presenting the GM with a very small number of choices for his divinity npc and frankly should be only IMO arrived at by mutual agreement, not by player side fiat.

Mutual agreement requires both sides to also be able to say "no" and be acceptable in doing so or its not really agreement.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I wpuld not say one way or the other if Odin is Omniscient or not - likely varies by setting.

Either

Or

Well ok maybe a third...

Those seem to be presenting the GM with a very small number of choices for his divinity npc and frankly should be only IMO arrived at by mutual agreement, not by player side fiat.

Mutual agreement requires both sides to also be able to say "no" and be acceptable in doing so or its not really agreement.
To be fair, "Odin is omniscient" or "Odin is not omniscient" is pretty much the definition of a binary choice. :)

Grognerd

Explorer
more then you will ever have.

Dont derail the thread further. Have the balls to PM me.

BYE

Quite posting disingenuous posts and I wont' have to correct them. Lack of integrity is what derails threads. You can feel free to PM me, since you seem to want me so badly. I'll settle for you just showing a little integrity.

5ekyu

Hero

Satyrn

First Post
To be fair, "Odin is omniscient" or "Odin is not omniscient" is pretty much the definition of a binary choice. :)
It really doesn't matter either way in this situation anyway. Even if he's not omniscient, he might still know from any of the myriad ways gods learn stuff. Heck, a raven might have found itself thinking it was courting with another raven, only to discover she was flirting with an the imp. I'll leave the details to your imagination, although my whole reason for this post is to plant that seed in your brain. Anyway, news of this strange event could reach Odin's ears, and lead him to discover the gullible paladin's hapless circumstance.

What really matters is if Odin cares. And then even if he cares, what's he gonna do about it? As a DM, I see some fun opportunities there as a DM.

(And on a side note, I can state unequivocally that Odin's not omniscient. I've watched the Xena episodes where he appears.)

5ekyu

Hero

agreed but again the source is that its allowed and this leads to the three cases outlined. thats why i added the third to my "pretty binary" start.

Can't discount odin might be a whimp.

Again, most of these really seem to be wanting to edeificate (??) the gods of the campaign thru player mandated fluff. not a take i normally assign to fluff.

As i said earlier, in my games, some classes have baggage and ties to NPCs. if you dont want that play other classes. I find the folks who want strong ties to others can play those classes quite well. they will thrive with them and work the ties between them and their patron/god/temple into the story play and make it shine. Those players that see it as a burden or worse a threat - please play something else!!!

smbakeresq

Explorer

Either

Or

Well ok maybe a third...

The biggest DM problem in a general sense is Omniscience. If some being is omniscient then in a sense the DM is always metagaming the players, which probably isn't good for the table. It also rules out even a god-like being every being able to get one over on that god.

In the instant case this could be resolved by Odin knowing what is going on, allowing it to continue, then showing himself to the PC and telling the PC exactly what is being done to them and by whom. To me this presents the PC with a choice of

1. going along with it, so keep advancing in Warlock class but cutting off Paladin class:

2. rejection and revenge against the patron but not siding with the real Odin (for tricking the PC.)
For the Rejection and Revenge angle, the vengeance paladin path would now be open, and then freezing warlock levels at whatever they are, saying the PC still has the spark of The Fiend for those powers (but not at too many levels)

3. or a new path with the actual Odin using 2 above or some other idea. Maybe conversion of the warlock to paladin levels if they wish. Have to work this out with the player. Any paladin path could be good now. An interesting idea would be an Iron Tyrant opposing The Fiend in every way possible.

Remove ads