Arkham Horror TTRPG announced

JEB

Legend
Apologies if posted elsewhere, but couldn't readily see, but Edge Studio / FFG have announced an Arkham Horror TTRPG, with starter set coming out in August:

So they're making a tabletop RPG based on a tabletop board game based on a tabletop RPG? Weird.

Staffan

Legend
I'm cautiously optimistic. I enjoy FFG's more pulpy take on the Mythos in Eldritch Horror and the Arkham Horror Living Card Game, and it will be interesting to see if they can translate that into an RPG.

Staffan

Legend
So they're making a tabletop RPG based on a tabletop board game based on a tabletop RPG? Weird.
Arkham Horror is not the same thing as Call of Cthulhu. They are both based on Lovecraft stuff, but Arkham Horror is much more pulpy, and presents a world where you can actually fight back against the monsters. You may pay a terrible price for doing so, but it's definitely an option.

Also, "Arkham Horror" is not just a single game, but a whole family of games in the same pulp-Lovecraft setting. There's Eldritch Horror (which goes world-wide), Mansions of Madness (which is sort of a dungeon crawler), Elder Sign (Yahtzee), Arkham Horror the Card Game, and probably some I forget.

Ah, lovely Arkham Horror the Card Game. I'll never forget when my character had been mindswapped with a Yithian in the far future, and as we were exploring their strange city a door opened and some mobsters showed up saying "Ms. O'Bannon been waiting a long time for her interest payment."

JEB

Legend
Arkham Horror is not the same thing as Call of Cthulhu.

Per Wikipedia:
Arkham Horror was originally submitted to Chaosium Inc. by Richard Launius as Call of Cthulhu: The Board Game, a new strategic game based on their Call of Cthulhu role-playing game. It was edited in-house by Chaosium, who added such features as the Doom Track, a method to track progress toward the total failure of the players, and was published in 1987 as Arkham Horror.

I see that Chaosium eventually dropped the game, then FFG picked up the rights from Launius, and yet:
The 2005 edition shares art and other elements with Fantasy Flight Games' other Cthulhu Mythos-based game: Call of Cthulhu Collectible Card Game.

Now, maybe FFG has since taken serious pains to diverge Arkham Horror's setting from its Call of Cthulhu roots. (I'd be interested in hearing the differences, if so.) Maybe that's even part of why they're creating this standalone RPG. But this is still an RPG based on a board game based on an RPG...

Swanosaurus

Adventurer
Arkham without a connection to Cthulhu?

That seems rather pointless.
Call of Cthulhu roots, not Cthulhu roots.
I remember Arkham Horror as Chaosium's official CoC boardgame, which was kind of silly and fun ... the core conceit was the same as today, I think - you ran around Arkham and tried to close gates and not get killed by the monsters coming through them.

Personally, I really don't see what yet another Cthulhu Mythos RPG could bring to the table - I really don't think every sub-flavor needs its own dedicated rules set. CoC, ToC, Fate of Cthulhu, Cthulhu Awakens, Cthulhu Eternal ... probably more than I could count.

MGibster

Legend
Personally, I really don't see what yet another Cthulhu Mythos RPG could bring to the table - I really don't think every sub-flavor needs its own dedicated rules set. CoC, ToC, Fate of Cthulhu, Cthulhu Awakens, Cthulhu Eternal ... probably more than I could count.
And that's kind of where I am with this and it's the same reason I had no interest in Candela Obscura (not that it's a Cthulhu game). I already own Call of Cthulhu, Pulp Cthulhu, and Trail of Cthulhu, so what what can I expect Arkham Horror to provide me?

My wife just walked by and helpfully reminded me that the world does not revolve around me. While I'm not sure what this game might have to offer me, I hope it does well out of my over abundance of love and joy I feel towards my fellow human beings. And who knows? Maybe it'll be really good and I might end up giving it a try.

I already own Call of Cthulhu, Pulp Cthulhu, and Trail of Cthulhu, so what what can I expect Arkham Horror to provide me?
Ditto. Especially with Pulp Cthulhu already on the shelf, and Savage Worlds as a backup if I wanted to step away from the CoC engine.

Now, announce a TTRPG based on a mashup of Cthulhu 500, Car Wars/GURPS Autoduel and Games Workshop's old Dark Future novels and you have my money. And one hell of a legal department to get all the licenses that would call for. :)

Remove ads