Board Game Arkham Horror Getting an RPG from Edge Studio

The boxed starter set will debut at Gen Con with a simultaneous worldwide release

Asmodee and Edge Studio announced the upcoming release of Arkham Horror: The Roleplaying Game. The game will launch as a boxed starter set available at Gen Con 2024 with a worldwide release coming on August 2.

arkham-horror-the-rpg-e1709834265744.jpg

The game will use the Dynamic Pool System (DPS), a d6 dice pool system with mechanics that “are easy to learn but contain strategic depths that are sure to entertain even expert TTRPG players”. The initial adventure, Hungering Abyss, will be divided into 10 scenes each playable in an hour or more.

The boxed set will include a 48-page adventure book, a Game Master’s reference board, 5 character portfolios, 24 six-sided dice (12 black and 12 green), 3 double-sided poster maps, 16 NPC profile cards, 21 item and spell cards, 3 punchboards of tokens and puzzles, and “several handouts”. All hobby stores that are part of Asmodee’s Hobby Next Program will have an additional set of dice as a bonus.

The original board game from Fantasy Flight Games originally came out in 2005. Players choose their investigator and explore the titular city of Arkham in the 1920s attempting to arm themselves with the items, skills, and spells they need to close the gateways spread across the city before the Ancient One arises. A living card game was also released in 2016.

Arkham Horror: The Roleplaying Game Starter Set will be available at Gen Con 2024 and in stores in the USA, Canada, UK, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, and “some other European countries” on August 2, 2024, with a retail price of $34.99.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Wolfram stout

Adventurer
Supporter
QFT.

If you ever find an RPG you like based on a related media IP property, get as much of it as you can, while you can, because it is absolutely guaranteed at some point that the licensee will lose their license and the product will disappear forever.
And I QFT your QFT.

My lack of The One Ring 1st edition books is testement to get your licensed gaming stuff early. Yes, I had years to get it, but didn't cause I knew I would not get it to the table, by the time I decided to maybe get some it was already too late.

agrayday

Explorer
QFT.

If you ever find an RPG you like based on a related media IP property, get as much of it as you can, while you can, because it is absolutely guaranteed at some point that the licensee will lose their license and the product will disappear forever.

The worst is having to run everything through for approval and release via the disney/lucas machine, months of waiting on simplest things. Those licenses are super restrictive by design, so managing dept can milk that IP for every possible source of revenue within the allowed time frame. The reason why the Force awakens starter set isn't getting reprinted if i recall is due to licensing restrictions/time in regards to the movie.

Kannik

Hero
Such is the fate of all Star Wars games, or really, all license based games.
On the other hand, WEG's Star Wars ran for many years with plenty of sourcebooks for many elements of the universe (some of which became canon). It also had additions for the comic series, Heir to the Empire books, and etc. It was quite the licensed SW juggernaut (with the HAVw A6 itself being something that became canon through the RPG based on concept artwork). :)

TheBanjoNerd

Gelatinous Dungeon Master
And I QFT your QFT.

My lack of The One Ring 1st edition books is testement to get your licensed gaming stuff early. Yes, I had years to get it, but didn't cause I knew I would not get it to the table, by the time I decided to maybe get some it was already too late.
Oh how naïve I was when I thought that Free League's version of LOTR 5e would bring down the price of Cubicle 7's Adventures in Middle Earth on the secondary market. That's a collection of books that will most likely stay incomplete for me.

On the other hand, WEG's Star Wars ran for many years with plenty of sourcebooks for many elements of the universe (some of which became canon). It also had additions for the comic series, Heir to the Empire books, and etc. It was quite the licensed SW juggernaut (with the HAVw A6 itself being something that became canon through the RPG based on concept artwork). :)
1987-1999. A good run of 12 years. But they were also some of the leanest years of the IP. In many ways, West End Star Wars helps keep the IP alive.

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
I am really excited about this! I love the boardgame and the LCG. Even the novels are a (guilty) pleasure of mine. And this splitting into 1 hour scenes is perfect!
The LCG is my all-time favourite game (I also own and enjoy everything for Mansions 2E as well as many CoC RPG products), but Edge's poor record when it comes to supporting the existing RPGs in their portfolio and communicating with fans has left a very sour taste in my mouth.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads