• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Armor as DR (considering it for my next campaign)

Wanted to know if people here have been using this rule. I never really put a lot of thought on that, but today I was playing in a one-shot Conan adventure, and found that armor as DR created two feelings I believe are very appropriate to armor as a resource available to players. The first is that you always want it, and the second is that you want the best you're able to afford. Armor as bonus to avoid being hit was not able to create that feeling in my games up till now.

I'll probably be using armor as DR in my next campaign, even if I find out later that it isn't worth the effort and drop it, but I'd like to know of people who use it (or maybe haven’t used but have an opinion on the matter) what is good and bad about the system.

Cheers,

bairdec

First Post
I've played other game systems where armor=DR (GURPS, TW:2K, Traveller, Shadowrun), and I like the feel in those games. I think it would work well if you are also using an alternate HP system.

Spatzimaus

First Post
There are many, MANY threads in this forum on this topic, some of them from within the past week or so. You're really better off just searching for those, since it's not a short discussion.

Aries_Omega

Explorer
I use it

I use Armor as DR as well as using Vitality and Wound Points instead of HP. My players love it and thing it's great. I have a newbie player that thinks that is makes better sense and actually wanted to make it that armor does nothing but DR.

If you are going to use it I recommend using both.

Remove ads