Armor as DR

Sadrik

First Post
So I am going to break these into general terms without breaking out into individual weapons and armor which may vary.

DR is now a term for the amount of damage you reduce. Standard DR is 0.
Parry is not a term that generates your DC to be hit. Standard parry is 10 + DEX + Parry.

Armor grants:
Light DR 2
Medium DR 3, -1 Parry
Heavy DR 4, -2 Parry

Held items give a Parry bonus. If holding only one item double its parry bonus. If holding two items add them for your total parry bonus.

Shield Parry 3
Pole weapon Parry 3
Melee weapon Parry 2
Small melee weapon Parry 1
Ranged weapon Parry 0

These cover most things and gives the intent of the idea.

So if you had heavy armor, a spear, and a shield your Parry could be 14 + DEX. A great sword wielder with light armor would be 14+ DEX.

Different types of armor might grant more or less protection and different types of weapons might increase Parry or lower it based on their applicability.

Last edited:

LandOfConfusion

First Post
I like this. Part of me wants to include the proficiency bonus into the equation somehow. I'm reluctant to include this in my D&D game as it makes it feel way less like D&D (that's not a bad thing). This is an interesting idea though and worth thinking about thought.

Sadrik

First Post
I like this. Part of me wants to include the proficiency bonus into the equation somehow. I'm reluctant to include this in my D&D game as it makes it feel way less like D&D (that's not a bad thing). This is an interesting idea though and worth thinking about thought.

Yeah I thought about adding in the proficiency bonus to the mix. Makes sense to do so.

Perhaps it could be:
8 + Prof + DEX + Parry

Orich Starkhart

First Post
Sadrik -
I'm interested in systems that try to rework the abstraction that is Armor Class. I've also tended to think that D&D generally undervalues the utility of the shield. So I appreciate what you're trying to do, and especially that you propose increasing the effectiveness of shields (three points of defense rather than the two provided in the D&D 5 Basic Rules).

I do have a couple of observations/questions:
1) The provision to double the parry bonus when the character holds only the weapon means that the difference in defense between a character wielding both a sword and a shield and one equipped only with a sword is merely one point, which seems too low. What's your rationale for increasing the parry value of a thing when it's the only thing in a combatant's hands, and why is it *twice* as effective when it's held alone? Would +1 be enough?

2) Your proposed "parry" reduces hit probability between weapon-wielding characters in melee; certainly it seems appropriate to factor a melee weapon into defense, but I suspect that this is part of the previous "Armor Class" abstraction; what's missing is an adjustment to AC for different weapons, or an accounting for an unarmed opponent. In D&D 5, with proficiency starting at +2, any first - fourth level character has a 60% chance to hit an AC10/unarmored opponent for damage. I do think that if the opponent wields something that could be used to block or parry an incoming attack, that should contribute to their effective AC, compared to an unarmed defender, but I suspect the base AC10 already accounts for that sort of defense. Considering the ability score modifiers, perhaps 6 points of the base AC10 is due to ability to dodge: Dexterity 1 applies -6 to AC, so three of the other four (leaving natural 1 for a miss on the attacker's part) could be allocated to other factors such as needing to go around the defenders' weapon. So I assume AC10 accounts for an armed target, and that assumption leads to suggesting zero-based defense modifiers per weapon where most one handed weapons have "parry" 0 - and -2 AC for unarmed opponents of PC races untrained in martial arts (i.e, not monks). Two handers may get +1; light ones -1, and size ought to be considered as well: an Ogre's club might gain the ogre +1 (or more) "parry" due to being large size, a halfling size (small) broadsword, -1.

Polearms are good for engaging a foe at longer range than the foe's melee weapon; once they're within their attack range and the defender has to shorten their grip or something (if that's allowed) should the defender wielding a polearm still have a defensive advantage over a defender wielding single-handed weapons such as a broad sword or a mace? I doubt it, but I have to admit that I have no applicable direct experience.

3) the damage reduction you posted seemed (to me) unfavorable to heavier armors, but leads to rough parity for the high-dexterity martial character - meaning, a high dexterity character will take about the same average damage per attack when heavily armored as when lightly armored (and therefore able to dodge better, due to armor-related limits on dexterity modifier to AC and to modifiers to "parry" per armor type (light/medium/heavy)).

Sadrik

First Post
Sadrik -
I'm interested in systems that try to rework the abstraction that is Armor Class. I've also tended to think that D&D generally undervalues the utility of the shield. So I appreciate what you're trying to do, and especially that you propose increasing the effectiveness of shields (three points of defense rather than the two provided in the D&D 5 Basic Rules).
Thanks! I agree I feel the shield is the best defense you can get, when referring to helping dodge/deflect blows. Also, the sword is an excellent parrying weapon when compared to a hafted weapon. This is glossed over in D&D. And further, armor makes you easier to be hit but makes you more difficult to be damaged.
I do have a couple of observations/questions:
1) The provision to double the parry bonus when the character holds only the weapon means that the difference in defense between a character wielding both a sword and a shield and one equipped only with a sword is merely one point, which seems too low. What's your rationale for increasing the parry value of a thing when it's the only thing in a combatant's hands, and why is it *twice* as effective when it's held alone? Would +1 be enough?
I had shields at +4 originally but lowered it to +3 because I thought doubling a shield would be too good. Granted you have no weapon out. I think the better way to do it may be to give it +4 but don't double when wielding only one weapon, instead add 1/2 again. So...

Shield Parry 4/6
Pole weapon Parry 3/4
Melee weapon Parry 2/3
Small melee weapon Parry 1/1
Ranged weapon Parry 0/0

How does that sound?

2) Your proposed "parry" reduces hit probability between weapon-wielding characters in melee; certainly it seems appropriate to factor a melee weapon into defense, but I suspect that this is part of the previous "Armor Class" abstraction; what's missing is an adjustment to AC for different weapons, or an accounting for an unarmed opponent. In D&D 5, with proficiency starting at +2, any first - fourth level character has a 60% chance to hit an AC10/unarmored opponent for damage. I do think that if the opponent wields something that could be used to block or parry an incoming attack, that should contribute to their effective AC, compared to an unarmed defender, but I suspect the base AC10 already accounts for that sort of defense. Considering the ability score modifiers, perhaps 6 points of the base AC10 is due to ability to dodge: Dexterity 1 applies -6 to AC, so three of the other four (leaving natural 1 for a miss on the attacker's part) could be allocated to other factors such as needing to go around the defenders' weapon. So I assume AC10 accounts for an armed target, and that assumption leads to suggesting zero-based defense modifiers per weapon where most one handed weapons have "parry" 0 - and -2 AC for unarmed opponents of PC races untrained in martial arts (i.e, not monks). Two handers may get +1; light ones -1, and size ought to be considered as well: an Ogre's club might gain the ogre +1 (or more) "parry" due to being large size, a halfling size (small) broadsword, -1.

Polearms are good for engaging a foe at longer range than the foe's melee weapon; once they're within their attack range and the defender has to shorten their grip or something (if that's allowed) should the defender wielding a polearm still have a defensive advantage over a defender wielding single-handed weapons such as a broad sword or a mace? I doubt it, but I have to admit that I have no applicable direct experience.
I think the extra size from the wielder offsets the advantage to using a larger weapon. It is easier to hit a large creature/object they also can parry better. To make it simple these factors could offset each other.

3) the damage reduction you posted seemed (to me) unfavorable to heavier armors, but leads to rough parity for the high-dexterity martial character - meaning, a high dexterity character will take about the same average damage per attack when heavily armored as when lightly armored (and therefore able to dodge better, due to armor-related limits on dexterity modifier to AC and to modifiers to "parry" per armor type (light/medium/heavy)).
Well with the armors I was thinking of dice types. 2 = 1d4, 3 = 1d6, and 4 = 1d8. I also wanted to make the values low enough so that with magic armor bonuses the DR does not become too onus. Note the DEX modifier applies equally to both light and heavy armor, though it does modify the parry...

No Armor: DR 0, 10 + DEX + Parry (8 + Prof + DEX + Parry)
Light Armor: DR 2, 10 + DEX + Parry (8 + Prof + DEX + Parry)
Medium Armor: DR 3, 9 + DEX + Parry (7 + Prof + DEX + Parry)
Heavy Armor: DR 4, 8 + DEX + Parry (6 + Prof + DEX + Parry)

You could go 2/4/6 for the DRs I suppose, but I worry about magic making the DRs to high and making HP last too long. perhaps 1/3/5 may work. Also, to point out this is not an exhaustive list of armors just a ball park. So 1/3/5, is likely correct when considering the worst and best light and heavy armors.

Last edited:

Wrathamon

Adventurer
The problem I have with DR in general is that you become impossible to damage at low levels from small weapons and it becomes insignificant at higher levels.

It also adds in more math to slow the game down.

You could add a Damage Save that is based on Armor being worn. You make the save and you negate the damage.
Some characters can use a reaction to Parry\block getting an extra save.

at this point its you take damage or you dont. I hit you. Did you take damage? Save. I succeeded, it glanced off my armor or I am going to parry and use my reaction to block the damage.

and yes more rolls also slows down the game but I dont think it does as much as people who cant do basic math very fast.

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Sadrik -
I'm interested in systems that try to rework the abstraction that is Armor Class. I've also tended to think that D&D generally undervalues the utility of the shield.
Then I have a game for you!

2) Your proposed "parry" reduces hit probability between weapon-wielding characters in melee; certainly it seems appropriate to factor a melee weapon into defense, but I suspect that this is part of the previous "Armor Class" abstraction; what's missing is an adjustment to AC for different weapons, or an accounting for an unarmed opponent. In D&D 5, with proficiency starting at +2, any first - fourth level character has a 60% chance to hit an AC10/unarmored opponent for damage. . . Two handers may get +1; light ones -1, and size ought to be considered as well: an Ogre's club might gain the ogre +1 (or more) "parry" due to being large size, a halfling size (small) broadsword, -1.
Parrying is a skill. You increase it just like your swimming skill or acting skill. And you use it to defeat attack attempts. Shields provide a bonus to the parrying skill, but weapons do not. Think about this: a two hander is much bigger and has more blocking area, but is also much slower to swing than a light one.

Polearms are good for engaging a foe at longer range than the foe's melee weapon; once they're within their attack range and the defender has to shorten their grip or something (if that's allowed) should the defender wielding a polearm still have a defensive advantage over a defender wielding single-handed weapons such as a broad sword or a mace?
Polearms should grant an initiative bonus - first strike capability and all. Once the attacker can reach, the defender could adjust his grip, drop his polearm and draw another weapon, or simply back up, trying to keep his opponent in striking range.

Whether the polearm should have defensive advantage is a question for a heavy-rules system, because it's on par with: weapon speed, weapon defensive training, weapon hit points (wooden haft versus blade), and footwork used (to maintain distance).

How about 3 points of damage reduction reduces your parrying odds by 5%, 4 points by 10%, and 5 points by 15%?

The problem I have with DR in general is that you become impossible to damage at low levels from small weapons and it becomes insignificant at higher levels.
A successful hit always does a minimum amount of damage. Problem solved. DR works better in 5e than in 3e, since high level hit points are defined in a way that emphasizes longevity over physical destruction.

You could add a Damage Save that is based on Armor being worn. You make the save and you negate the damage. Some characters can use a reaction to Parry\block getting an extra save.
Bringing up Reactions is interesting, because it also brings up action economy. The move/action/reaction system is fantastic - except that -defending yourself- falls completely outside of that economy. For 5e, parrying should be an Action and/or Reaction, while damage reduction applies to all hits.

and yes more rolls also slows down the game but I dont think it does as much as people who cant do basic math very fast.
What if you could choose between a 1d4 or a 2?
Gamers should be able to subtract DR from damage in the time that it takes to carry their pencils to the correct spot on their character sheets. If that's a problem, use an iPhone.

Sadrik's ideas are brilliant (wait for it...). I like them so much, I've already implemented them into the homebrewed game here. Unfortunately, D&D 5 uses a few conventions that do not allow for smooth implementation of Sadrik's ideas (like the action economy and hit point proliferation).

Sadrik

First Post
Thanks for the compliments.

Parrying is a skill. You increase it just like your swimming skill or acting skill. And you use it to defeat attack attempts. Shields provide a bonus to the parrying skill, but weapons do not. Think about this: a two hander is much bigger and has more blocking area, but is also much slower to swing than a light one.

Polearms should grant an initiative bonus - first strike capability and all. Once the attacker can reach, the defender could adjust his grip, drop his polearm and draw another weapon, or simply back up, trying to keep his opponent in striking range.

Whether the polearm should have defensive advantage is a question for a heavy-rules system, because it's on par with: weapon speed, weapon defensive training, weapon hit points (wooden haft versus blade), and footwork used (to maintain distance).
Essentially everyone gets the Parry "skill". Everyone gets to apply their proficiency bonus to some weapons or magical attacks so everyone is proficient in parrying.

As to the weapons and them increasing your parry. I think a big weapon can hold things at bay and give less opportunity to attack the person, i.e., increase their parry score. I hold you away from me with my sword and shield. If you sneak one in you will have my armor to contend with.

Wrathamon said:
You could add a Damage Save that is based on Armor being worn. You make the save and you negate the damage.
Damage as a save rules are neat.
So you deal melee damage equal to 10 + STR + converted die
d4 2
d6 3
d8 4
d10 5
d12 6
d20 10

You make a damage save equal to your AC -10 - DEX + CON + d20.
So if your armor gave you 15+DEX, you would have 5+CON+d20.

You have essentially three HP and can be damaged three times (going in line with the death saves). A crit deals two damage. Go to zero then you are dying.

It changes a lot though. Spells and cures have to be completely rebalanced and tuned differently. This is a completely different game.

Armor as DR does not alter it to that level of play and can easily be accommodated within the rules.

Orich Starkhart

First Post
Regarding...
Also, the sword is an excellent parrying weapon when compared to a hafted weapon. This is glossed over in D&D.
Coincidentally, recently I encountered the assertion that the axe was a poor defensive weapon.
Should that difference affect the parry bonus? Perhaps the swords get +2, axes and other hafted melee weapons (axes, maces, hammers) get +1 or even 0?

armor makes you easier to be hit but makes you more difficult to be damaged.
I see that the "easier to be hit" is reflected in your penalties to parry for medium and heavy armors, and apparently the parry penalty you give medium and heavy armor replaces the cap on dexterity modifier in the rules? (since you later state that heavy armor still gets a DEX, in contrast to the armor table (in the Basic rules) showing that heavy armor AC is not affected by dexterity modifier). I prefer that the weight and bulk of armor affects the dexterity modifier to defense (whether "Armor Class" or your "Parry") rather than caps that modifier or causes it to be ignored. Using a penalty rather than a cap will mean that every character is easier to hit when it is in heavy armor than when it is not, and that increasing dexterity will always benefit defense, regardless of armor worn. The dexterity 18 fighter in heavy chain or plate should more adroitly dodge blows than the dexterity 10 fighter in the same armor.

regarding the modification to parry bonus when it's the only item in one's hands:
I do think the X1.5, round down rule for held items looks more appropriate than doubling. I would ask you to clarify whether the parry bonuses for held items stack. If they don't, then I think the increase for holding the one item alone is too much, because without stacking but with the single-item increase, a fighter with only a shield is two points better in parry than one with a shield and a sword, independent of actions taken in combat.

With respect to my suggestion that weapon size matter for "parry", with large size weapons better than small size ones, you responded:
I think the extra size from the wielder offsets the advantage to using a larger weapon. It is easier to hit a large creature/object they also can parry better. To make it simple these factors could offset each other.
Seems reasonable that the parry modifier for weapon size could simply offset a creature size modifier to AC/parry. Except size modifiers surely are already built into the stat blocks, so adding additional parry for this proposal would be appropriate - unless one decides the current AC also accounts for that.

Regarding armor - thanks for clarifying about DR 2,3,4 relating to die size:
Well with the armors I was thinking of dice types. 2 = 1d4, 3 = 1d6, and 4 = 1d8. I also wanted to make the values low enough so that with magic armor bonuses the DR does not become too onus.
Perhaps magic armor bonuses should be considered deflection and therefore modify Parry rather than DR.

If you want to roll dice/have variability in DR, how about d3 for light, d4+1 for medium, d6+2 for heavy to start with?

What do you think of my observation that the conventional AC may account for the wielding of a melee weapon, which can be accommodated by either:
a) the parry modifier to a weapon should be normalized to 0 for the melee weapons, while small and light weapons (e.g.: dagger) get -1, pole weapons (e.g.: spear, halberd) get +1,
or
b) the base Parry for a human becomes 6, to account for adding both Proficiency and weapon parry bonus.

You could go 2/4/6 for the DRs I suppose, but I worry about magic making the ACs to high and making HP last too long. perhaps 1/3/5 may work..
I think you mean magic making the DR, rather than AC, too high? Does my suggestion above about applying the magic bonus to Parry deal with this issue?
As far as HP lasting too long - this is of course going to depend on the specific DR value(s) and on the nature of attacks the characters suffer in the campaign. The math has to work differently if we simply translate a fixed AC to a fixed DR. But because in D&D damage per attack tends to increase with level of encounter, going to an Armor as DR system risks the behavior mentioned by [MENTION=7989]Wrathamon[/MENTION], that the armor-wearer becomes less vulnerable than in the unmodified rules to low-damage attacks, but less protected in the attacks of foes that deliver higher damage per attack. A certain degree of this makes sense - a dagger wielded against a plate armored champion in melee would have a hard time doing any real damage at all.
One possible mitigation for the fact that armor-as-DR doesn't reduce hit probability, so in this system armor helps less than AC against high-damage attacks: perhaps DR can be proportional to proficiency bonus?
At its most simple:
light armor DR = prof
medium = 2*prof
heavy=3*prof
This does mean the dagger-armed (d4 damage) PC cannot expect to hurt the mail armored NPC (DR=6 at levels 1-4) at all unless
  • the PC makes critical hit
  • the attack has significant damage bonuses of some sort (ability modifiers, magic enhancement, circumstantial or class feature bonuses,
  • the attack qualifies for additional damage dice (e.g., Sneak Attack)
  • there is explicit provision for circumventing armor (perhaps within critical hits)

Another idea: factor in degree of success - increase damage or die size proportional to the amount one exceeds the needed to-hit roll, and/or make critical hit dependent upon degree of success (possibly in addition to on natural 20). I imagine that will slow the game down with more math.

Orich Starkhart

First Post
A few responses to points made by DMMike and Sadrik:

Then I have a game for you!
I'll check out your game.

Parrying is a skill. You increase it just like your swimming skill or acting skill. And you use it to defeat attack attempts.
Agreed that "parrying" is a skill, but I think [MENTION=14506]Sadrik[/MENTION]'s "Parry" refers to defense in general rather than solely to parrying action.
Shields provide a bonus to the parrying skill, but weapons do not.
I disagree that weapons do not contribute. Certainly it's harder to get a good hit on a person armed with a sword than one who is not armed, if they can block or parry with their sword or if that sword is a threat to the attacker. I suppose the effect of weapon might be insignificant, or at least smaller, in combination with a shield. Perhaps where Sadrik had +2 for a sword, +3 for sword alone, it should be +1 for sword, +2 if it's the only thing held, and shield at +3 or +4 makes for sword and shield parry at +4 or +5.
Think about this: a two hander is much bigger and has more blocking area, but is also much slower to swing than a light one.
Yes, but if one is "swinging" a two hand weapon, one is not defending oneself with that weapon except for the possibly significant factor of intimidation. Keep the weapon between one and one's attacker, now it's defending one - while also threatening, if it's pointy, and such a threatening weapon's length might function to keep the opponent out of range to make an effective strike.

Polearms should grant an initiative bonus - first strike capability and all.
Maybe. Regardless, the one with reach already gets an Opportunity Attack when the one with initiative tries to move into melee range.

that depends how rules heavy ones wants to get. Why can't or shouldn't one assign a static defense value to different weapons depending on any of several factors, such as speed, reach, type (polearm, sword, hafted...) and an assumption of training?

How about 3 points of damage reduction reduces your parrying odds by 5%, 4 points by 10%, and 5 points by 15%?
Not sure what this was getting at in response to my observation that in my (flawed) understanding of Sadrik's proposal, it looked like a high dex character could do just as well against melee weapon attacks in light, medium and heavy armor. Is this comment about incrementing Parry penalty with Damage Reduction?

A successful hit always does a minimum amount of damage. Problem solved.
I suppose this can address the problem that sufficient Armor DR makes a character invulnerable to low damage weapon attacks, what about increased vulnerability to higher level high-damage attacks making DR seem pointless?
DR works better in 5e than in 3e, since high level hit points are defined in a way that emphasizes longevity over physical destruction.
[MENTION=6685730]DMMike[/MENTION], please elaborate on this point about the definition of hit points.

Bringing up Reactions is interesting, because it also brings up action economy. The move/action/reaction system is fantastic - except that -defending yourself- falls completely outside of that economy. For 5e, parrying should be an Action and/or Reaction, while damage reduction applies to all hits.
Agreed, and parrying could be added as a possible action/reaction, akin to the existing "Dodge", but I think @Morrus; "Parry" is independent of action economy, thus could coexist with [MENTION=7989]Wrathamon[/MENTION]'s counter proposal to use an action or reaction to "parry or block". Such a parry or block attempted as a reaction may be much like a Shield spell - implemented specifically in response to a known-damaging blow.

Gamers should be able to subtract DR from damage in the time that it takes to carry their pencils to the correct spot on their character sheets.
Indeed.

I think a big weapon can hold things at bay and give less opportunity to attack the person, i.e., increase their parry score. I hold you away from me with my sword and shield. If you sneak one in you will have my armor to contend with.
Yes, but the defender waiting for an attacker to approach already gets an Opportunity Attack, interrupting their attacker's movement, when the attacker tries to come within the defender's range. Maybe the attacker can complete move and their attack only if they avoid a successful hit from the defender's reaction attack (perhaps necessitating a change/clarification of the rule that the interrupted character gets to continue their turn after the reaction is completed), or only after an additional save in response to that attack. This gives special effectiveness to the polearm and I think better models its value in defense than +1 to parry or AC over a melee weapon without reach.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases