Armor converting hpt damage to Subdual

CuriousBard

First Post
It's been quite a while since I've visited these boards. If this topic has already been tackled, then bear with me.

For armor and natural armor, I keep the AC bonuses the same with purposes of being hit, but I also add an additional feature. Armor will downgrade incoming damage by an amount equal to it's AC bonus. Hpt damage becomes Subdual. Subdual becomes nothing.

Example: Chainmail grants a total AC value of 15 (not including any other factors). A roll of 15 or higher scores damage. But the first 5 hpts of damage are counted as subdual damage. In effect, the armor 'padded' the attack slightly.

I've used this concept and found that it works for the most part.

1). The speed of which an opponent is taken down doesn't change. Even with some hpt damage becoming subdual, the rate at which the current hpt total and subdual total approach each other is the same.

2). Characters fall unconscious alot more instead of falling dead or dying. In this way, combat is softer.

3). Regeneration ends up gives creatures their Natural AC bonus as Damage Reduction. Since incoming attacks are counted as Subdual, and since Subdual is downgraded to no damage, the AC bonus converts 'subdual' damage to nothing.......in effect, the same ability of Damage Reduction. (Watch out for them trolls).

4). Tracking two separate point totals has not proven a problem for myself nor my players.

5). Cure Spells and potions have been downgraded as well. They now can either convert hpt damage to Subdual or cure subdual...all depending on how the Cleric targets the wounds. Upon casting a Cure spell he can choose which to convert to which. On the battlefield, curing Subdual is utmost since it gets characters back on their feet immediately. After a Fight, converting hpts to Subdual is the better investment since the character can then heal back hourly instead of daily.

So......now that you've read through the basic idea of what I'm doing.....and since by now you've probably formed an opinion of the system....I'm interested in hearing feedback. In my opinion, I'm thinking it makes combat too soft. The chances of being killed are lower (unless your enemy decides to perform a CdG).

I'm also considering allowing armor to provide some form of minor protection against the elements. Seeing as many, many years ago women would wear heavy dresses while baking in the kitchen to insulate themselves against the heat, I figure armor might provide a little something. Perhaps too small to even bother tracking....but I'm curious if anyone has done anything like this in their systems.

Any thoughts as to how to tweek it better?

Haven't given it much thought, but...

Perhaps you could apply the same concept using the following (reduced) values if you want the results to be slightly less "soft":

Code:
[color=red][size=4]

ARMOUR TYPE    DR/DAMAGE CONVERSION

Light               1pt 

Medium              2pts

Heavy               3pts

Suit*               4pts
[/size]
*optional
[/color]

las

First Post
It could work (which what you are saying it does). But you can make it so they haved to beat that number to get rid of the effect. Let me give an exzable of what im saying. Wulgar a dwarven wizard attacks a Goblin and gets a 15 and hits. All three points that the studded leather provides to AC is subduel. Now if he hit it with a 16 2 points are subduel and so forth. This way armor gives more proteshen when they dont get hit as hard.

Nik_the_Pig

First Post
CuriousBard, I love it and the fact that your've play tested it and it seems to work makes it even better.

I've been trying to to come up with a way to have armour give a damage reducing capacity in some way without having to alter otherthings (BAB, hip points, etc) for ages it this hits the mark.

I'm going to use it (makes those arch-villins that more likely to survive, light armour not as effective, clerics less of a must...)

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Crits

Do crits ignore or bypass this conversion? For example, if you get a critical hit against an opponent wearing chainmail and do a total of 20 hp damage, does he take all 20, or does he take 15 damage and 5 subdual? I would think he takes all 20 in real damage. Makes critical hits all the more dangerous and fun.

Also, how do feats like Chink in the Armor (SaS) work with this system?

CuriousBard

First Post
Nik_the_Pig,

Villains do get a break as well, yes. In fact in our last game the PC Ranger was killed by a CdG after he was knocked out by too many accumulating Subdual points. The party beat down the gnoll that did it, but didn't kill him (same reason with the hpt to subdual conversion). Then they were hard pressed by enemy numbers and had to retreat. They still want to hunt down the gnoll that did their friend in.

Dr. Zoom,

I've allowed armor to convert even crit strikes.....but what you suggest sounds plausible. It would certainly remove some of the "softness" from things.

As for Chink in the Armor.....I'm not very educated on the add-on rules outside of the core rules. Although I've absorbed the core books and can practically quote pages and sentences.....I haven't had time or opportunity to suck up everything in the other books. So to answer your question......not sure how it would apply. lol

DreamChaser

Explorer
Re: Crits

Dr. Zoom said:
Also, how do feats like Chink in the Armor (SaS) work with this system?

If I understand the feat right, I would make it so that with a penalty to the attack roll, the attacker could bypass some or all of the damage reduction of the armor, with penalities depending upon how protective the armor.

Spyritwind

First Post
After having tinkered with variant damage reduction armor rules on paper and doing the math I have yet to come to something I definatly want to go with.

This might be it though. I think I'll try armor bonus divided by two though for the conversion to subdual damage. Critical hits ignoring that makes sense to me.

I was fiddling with splitting AC bonus from armor into AC and Damage Reduction with the idea that if you hit well enough you could incrementaly reduce and get rid of the Damage Reduction. This would make heavy armor types easier to hit, but harder to hurt. Hmmm that's a seperate post though.

Oh. What does "CdG" mean? How does some one die to subdual damage?

Last edited:

Remove ads