Armor for wizards

Erekose13

Explorer
I am trying to find a way to get my martial wizard (soon to be the first eldritch knight) into armor. That darn spell failure chance is killing me. I'd like to look at some options to reduce the penalty. What I was thinking was a slight addition to some of the LEW feats we already have (bolded below). Alternatively I could work up a single feat (or chain) for just this purpose, or I could propose an armor enhancement.

Armored Casting [General] - Approved.
Through focused training and practice, you are able to apadt your somatic components while casting in light armor.
Prerequisites: Armor Proficiency (Light), Light Armor Optimization, BAB +3
Benefit: When wearing light armor, decrease the arcane spell failure chance by 10%
Special: Medium armor made of mithril counts as light armor for the purpose of interacting with this feat.

[sblock=Original Post]
Light Armor Optimization [General]
Through focused training and practice, you are able to get more benefit out of light armor.
Prerequisites: Armor Proficiency (Light), BAB +1
Benefit: When wearing light armor, increase its Max Dex bonus by 1 and decrease its Armor Check penalty by 1. Decrease the arcane spell failure chance by 10%(5?). Increase the Armor bonus of the armor by 1 instead of reducing the Armor Check penalty if this reduction would reduce the penalty below 0.
Special: A fighter may select this feat as one of his bonus feats. Medium armor made of mithril counts as light armor for the purpose of interacting with this feat.
-Created by IcyCool

Greater Light Armor Optimization [General]
Through focused training and practice, you are able to get more benefit out of light armor.
Benefit: When wearing light armor, increase its Max Dex bonus by 1 and decrease its Armor Check penalty by 1. Decrease the arcane spell failure chance by 10%(5?). Increase the Armor bonus of the armor by 1 instead of reducing the Armor Check penalty if this reduction would reduce the penalty below 0. These reductions and bonuses are cumulative with (stack with) those granted by Light Armor Optimization.
Special: A fighter may select this feat as one of his bonus feats. Medium armor made of mithril counts as light armor for the purpose of interacting with this feat.
-Created by IcyCool​

Nah that is too much for good feats. Current proposal:

Armored Casting [General]
Through focused training and practice, you are able to apadt your somatic components while casting in light armor.
Benefit: When wearing light armor, decrease the arcane spell failure chance by 10%Special: Medium armor made of mithril counts as light armor for the purpose of interacting with this feat.

Or:

Casting, Lesser: reduce the arcane spell failure chance by 10%.
Faint Transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, haste; Price +2 bonus.
Casting: reduce the arcane spell failure chance by 20%.
Faint Transmutation; CL 9th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, haste; Price +4 bonus.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
I don't think I like the Light Armour Optimisation feats, simply because light armour already has such an edge over the other types already. Now, a Medium Armour Optimisation feat? That I could get behind. Also, even if you allowed feats to increase the Max Dex and decrease the ACP, they usually shouldn't reduce the ASF chance. I would suggest an armour enhancement or perhaps a special material, a crystal with a ley link to the towers, that focuses on lowering ASF more than mithral due to its mystic properties, even though it actually increases the ACP.

Bront

The man with the probe
You could always make an "Armored Casting" feat, that requires armor proficiency, and armor optimization and that would then add a 10% arcane spell failure reduction as well (or 5% for light, 10% for medium, 15% for heavy perhaps)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Oh, darn. Looks like I didn't realise we actually already have those feats. :lol: Well I would have been against them for being a bad idea already. Definitely I am against adding to them to make them even stronger :lol:

Erekose13

Explorer
So this:
Armored Casting [General]
Prerequisites: Armor Proficiency (Light), Light Armor Optimization, Armored Casting, BAB +3
Benefit: When wearing light armor, decrease the arcane spell failure chance by 10%Special: Medium armor made of mithril counts as light armor for the purpose of interacting with this feat.

Or like this:

Casting, Lesser: reduce the arcane spell failure chance by 10%.
Faint Transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, haste; Price +2 bonus.
Casting: reduce the arcane spell failure chance by 20%.
Faint Transmutation; CL 9th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, haste; Price +4 bonus.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Those look about right. You could probably get away with make the Lesser Casting a +1, though then it would be a no-brainer for some builds. The 20% enhancement looks right at +4 though.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Rystil Arden said:
Oh, darn. Looks like I didn't realise we actually already have those feats. :lol: Well I would have been against them for being a bad idea already. Definitely I am against adding to them to make them even stronger :lol:
You could start a proposal to get rid of them.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Erekose13 said:
yeah mithril chain shirt + lesser casting = 0% spell failure. that right there should be 10,000.
now should they stack?
Mithral Chain should most likely stack with Lesser Casting. You may want to make the Casting enhancements fail to stack with the feat, however, if you propose both.

Remove ads