Blog (A5E) Armor & Materials

Stalker0

Legend
No, a crit is just a very strong attack. It might be an arrow in a gap in the armor, sure, or it could be a blow so powerful that it cuts right through the armor.
And I would argue that LU reinforces that flavor as you can have your shield broken to negate a crit.

yeah to me a crit is the hit you didn’t calculate, you didn’t get in the right position, and instead of just take a cut your taking a hit right in a vulnerable spot…whether that’s a gap in the armor or just a really slow and powerful attack thst you just didn’t anticipate so instead of easily dodging it you take it full bore.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yeah a crit is simply an attack that hurts... a lot. There's many ways to describe why.

EDIT: Of course, In O5E there's always the "critiful" rolls - when you get a crit but still roll below-average damage. Sigh. So disappointing.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Yeah a crit is simply an attack that hurts... a lot. There's many ways to describe why.

EDIT: Of course, In O5E there's always the "critiful" rolls - when you get a crit but still roll below-average damage. Sigh. So disappointing.
I always allow one die to be maxxed to avoid this. One of my friends says that if you have a die in a crit that rolls less than average, you can make it average.

AggieRick

Villager
Bone armor (brittle) destroyed on a crit… padded (weakness) is broken on a crit.
Now with book figuratively in hand i can say at least this is not right. While i see no listing in the adventurer book or the narrator book on the meaning of "weakness(peircing)" that appears on cloth, they do define brittle. "Brittle weapons break when you roll a natural 1 on an attack with it. Brittle armors break when you take a critical hit or roll a nat one dex save. if a damage type is noted in parenthesis , the armor only breaks on a critical from that dmg type..." The maintenance section does not mention destroyed only Damaged and Broken. it details the situations in which a narrator may call for a maintence check to prevent gear that has been hard used from becoming damaged on a failed check it is damaged and if it was already damaged it becomes broken. broken gear must be repaired to be used. So at no point is gear lost forever due to wear and tear from what I can tell. Given the lack of guidance on weakness i am currently leaning toward taking damage of a type your armor has weakness to makes it damaged and a failure on the next maintence check (which at least if i am narrator is coming next rest) would make it broken. In case it is needed to be mentioned broken armor can be repaired with the appopriate kits and check under repairability on the table. so i guess pack that sewing kit you will need it if you are wearing light armor.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Brittle got renamed to weakness (as cloth being 'brittle' doesn't sound right). Good catch! Some old brittle references still there. We'll change them all to weakness.

Remove ads