Armor Max Dex Bonus?

Ramien Meltides

First Post
Does the Max Dex bonus listing on armor apply to anything besides Armor Class? If I have a 16 dex, with a +3 bonus, in full plate mail (+1 max dex bonus), my armor class should be 19... but will I still get +3 to my initiative, reflex saves, and ranged attacks?

I would appreciate any light one can shed on the matter and if you can, please tell me which pages in the PHB or DMG are relevant. Thanks!

Ywain

First Post
The SRD only mentions AC. So I assume that that is all that is affected.

If this doesn't quite sit right with you, just assume that what you lose in mobility for reflex saves, you gain in protection from actual damage so it all roughly evens out. (i.e. you can't duck and cover as quickly, but your heavy armor covers you to a certain extent anyway).

Just my two cents.

graydoom

First Post
It only applies to the amount of your dexterity bonus that can be added to your AC. It does not limit your dexterity bonus for any other purpose

Page 104 PHB.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
This can really hurt for touch AC if you have a high Dex and are wearing heavy (probably magical, otherwise it wouldn't be worth it with high Dex) armor: No armor bonus (since it's a touch attack), but still the max Dex...

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Considering that touch attack does not require penetrating the armor, I'd say that's the price you pay for wearing it. Of course, there are only few touch attack options: touch spells, grapple, whip (almost useless for inflicting damage, but good at tripping someone).

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Ranger REG said:
Considering that touch attack does not require penetrating the armor, I'd say that's the price you pay for wearing it. Of course, there are only few touch attack options: touch spells, grapple, whip (almost useless for inflicting damage, but good at tripping someone).
Agreed. Also, only a few characters will wear armor with a lower max Dex than their Dex modifiers anyway - but it is a possibility.... :)

Remove ads