Armor of Repulsion - Useless?

Ninja-to

First Post
Thanks guys. That makes this armor even better than I'd hoped. But now I have a new problem...!

Do I replace it with another level 3 magic leather armor for my Infernal Pact Warlock? I was thinking Armor of Sudden Recovery... quite cool.

"+1 item bonus to saving throws against ongoing damage"
"Daily, Minor Action: You can use this power when you're taking ongoing damage. The ongoing damage ends, and you gain regeneration equal to the amount of the ongoing damage until the end of the encounter."

This is very nice. Another player pointed out though that at our current level (2) we probably won't encounter ongoing damage on us very often.

Should I keep the armor of repulsion or replace it?

HighTemplar

First Post
you can use it only once per round. this means that if it was an interrupt, they would be able to just use the rest of there movement to continue moving next to you, but as its a reaction, it means that they end there movement, and then they get pushed a square, meaning they cannot use that action any more, and must spend another action to move closer to you.

this is one of the few times reaction is better than interrupt.

This is definately the way the armor was intended.
Perhaps it's trigger should have been, "an enemy finishes moving in a square adjacent to you". But nonetheless, for the save:
If the foe finishes moving adjacent to you, that square was declared as his destination, you then push him back. There is no going back there with the remaining movement because the destination has been reached.
Should you trigger the armor while the destination square has not been reached yet, then the target could use his remaining movement to reach it's intended destination because he hasen't reached it yet.

keterys

First Post
Of course then you have the odd decision of what happens when an enemy moves through multiple squares next to a PC. Without the "finish moving", it doesn't work.

Ex:
. P . M
. . . .

M is the enemy that is moving past the P(C). It uses a shift 6 power, first moving one square left,

. P M .
. . . .

then down and left 1,
. P . .
. M . .

then up and left 1.
M P . .
. . . .

So, as a reaction P pushes M away at any step, and each square is a completely separate step that can be reacted to... and they just come back. If instead it's just a shift 1, the reaction bounces M back and he's in a lot worse shape. Especially if M has no reach, and now can't charge P (1 square gap of doom). There are definitely some much better times to use Repulsion than others.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I don't think you guys understand the power level of the average item daily.

"No enemy can stand next to me for the rest of the fight unless 2 or more attempt to do so in a single turn" is significantly more powerful than pretty much anything else.

"Foes lose a square of movement if they move into a square next to me for the rest of the fight" is much more sane.

Aulirophile

First Post
Wouldn't charging negate it, as being a reaction, the push would come after the attack?
Reactions respond to squares of movement individually, and indeed one of the examples of this in the books is specifically about how Reactions can invalidate charges.

It isn't very likely though, since they would be pushed 1 away.... and then would continue to charge. They'd need to have just barely reached you with the charge.

Herschel

Adventurer
Wouldn't charging negate it, as being a reaction, the push would come after the attack?

Correct, because the charge is the action to be completed before the reaction, not the movement itself. The Rules Compendium cleared the immediate action question up a lot for that situation.

Remove ads