Armor Spikes- the universal solution?

Crothian

First Post
Zhure said:
What you need is armor spikes AND a spiked chain.
Greg

Are you describing spikey?

Actually, that makes a really impresive looking guy. He needs intimidation bonuses for the look alone.

Starfox

Hero
Victim said:
Armor spikes might have a kind of negative connotation in many campaign worlds. "Look at that evil guy in the wicked spiked armor. Heh, the black paint must have got worn off."
Huzzah! That's why I picked them in the first place, and then did this analysis. I play a paladin, and wanted to add something grim to my look, not that do-goody, smiley, wholesome attitude.

Of course, I AM a do-goody character, but there is no reason not to look at least a little bad!

TWF with a great sword and armor spikes is pretty good too.
Originally posted by reapersaurus
How would that work?

horizontal cut(or a diagonal one) followed by any of the following; spiked shoulder plate rammed into the opponent's face or chest, knee spike jammed into the abdomine or groin, the elbow spike planted into his gut, Helmet spike lowered and rammed into him, or spiked boots used to....... KICK HIM IN THE JUNK AND TAKE HIS WALLET

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
horizontal cut(or a diagonal one) followed by any of the following; spiked shoulder plate rammed into the opponent's face or chest, knee spike jammed into the abdomine or groin, the elbow spike planted into his gut, Helmet spike lowered and rammed into him, or spiked boots used to....... KICK HIM IN THE JUNK AND TAKE HIS WALLET

Now, I've been thinking about that. And it would seem to me that any of those are close-range attacks, and require entering the opponent's square, however briefly. While I might be persuaded that one could make an "off-hand" attack with the spikes while using a two-handed weapon (maybe - I'm not convinced), I would definitely grant the opponent an AoO, just like someone attempting to start a grapple.

-Hyp.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Armor Spikes: Spikes can be added to armor. They deal 1d6
points of piercing damage (X2 crit) with a successful grapple
attack. The spikes count as a martial weapon. If a character is
not proficient with them, the character suffers a -4 penalty on
grapple checks when trying to use them. A regular melee attack
(or off-hand attack) can be made with the spikes, and they count
as a light weapon in this case.
Light: If the weapon's size category is smaller than the
character's, then the weapon is light for that character. Light
weapons are easier to use in the off hand, and they can be used
while grappling. A light weapon can be used in one hand. There is
no special bonus when using such a weapon in two hands.

They count as a light weapon, which means they can (and must unless it says otherwise) be used in one hand. If you are saying that you can use armor spikes without using any hand, then I am going to start wielding shortswords (also a light weapon) without using my hands too.

I know that the spikes are not necessarily on your gauntlets, but since they are classified as light weapons, you can't make use of them when your hands are full of other stuff. This is supported by the fact that you have to declare them as a primary or off hand attack when you use them. At best, you could claim that they are prepared by default if you are not doing anything else with your hands (kind of like quickdraw for free), but they aren't going to give you the benefit of extra appendages or extra attacks in a round. Even allowing them to be used for a AoO if you have a bow in your hands is dubious under the rules as written.

Larcen

Explorer
TWF with a great sword and armor spikes is pretty good too.

Damn. That's harsh.

Darklone

Spikes

Yeah spikes are nice.

As for the greatsword plus offhand attack: No chance. Otherwise everyone could do headbutts with a helmet. Or kicks with a leg. Ask your monks.

Remove ads