Armor Spikes- the universal solution?

Starfox

Hero
At first, I was like you. I smirked at armor spikes. But then, I took a long look at them, and found them to be excellent. Now, I just cannot live without them. I just have to add spikes to every set of armor...

Armor Spikes is a light weapon, that can be used as either a main hand or off hand attack. They do 1d6 damage, with x2 criticals. They can also cause 1d6 lethal damage with a successful grapple check, but since they are light weapons, I'd say its usually wiser simply to bash the grapplee with the spikes.

With armor spikes, you are always ready!
  • Want to use a reach weapon? Bothered about not threathening the nearest 5 ft? Get some armor spikes!
  • Using a missile weapon, and bothered about not having any attacks of opportunity? Get some armor spikes!
  • Being grappled, and not having a light weapon ready? Get some armor spikes!
  • Are you small, and can't find a good light weapon to apply Weapon Finesse to? Get some armor spikes! (This one is debatable; maybe small armor spikes should do only 1d4 damage. But there is nothing in the description to indicate this; armor spikes are alwyas light weapons, that's all it says).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Now what about putting the Throwing, Distance, and Dancing enhancements on them?

Animated Armor Spikes with a range increment of 20'! Wheee!

But what I want to know - the spikes can be used as "a regular melee attack (or an offhand attack)".

Can they be both? In the same round?

And would you need to enhance them once, or twice like a double weapon?

-Hyp.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
If you are using a bow, you would not have the armor spikes "prepared" for an AoO opportunity unless you dropped the bow at the end of your previous action. Ditto for a reach weapon (unless it is one handed and you don't have a shield).

Should also note the profficency required (martial) for armor spikes. No good for clerics and such.

Starfox

Hero
Xahn'Tyr said:
If you are using a bow, you would not have the armor spikes "prepared" for an AoO opportunity unless you dropped the bow at the end of your previous action. Ditto for a reach weapon (unless it is one handed and you don't have a shield).
It doesn't say you have to use your hands, but it does say that it counts as a weapon; you could argue that you need a free hand to use a weapon. I thing I could get away with/allow using an elbow, knee or backhand wrist slap. But you can always use your left hand as long as your bow is not loaded, or release your two-handed grip on the Pole Arm as a free action at the end of the round (you would lose the reach, though).

Xahn'Tyr said:
Should also note the profficency required (martial) for armor spikes. No good for clerics and such.
Right on, but it could be worth a feat.

Victim

First Post
In many cases, it might be worth the -4 to use the spikes without proficiency. For example, against large, good bab, high STR creatures, a cleric won't win a grapple check. It'd be better just to try and hit with the spikes in many cases, because such creatures often have poor AC.

However, armor spikes might have a kind of negative connotation in many campaign worlds. "Look at that evil guy in the wicked spiked armor. Heh, the black paint must have got worn off."

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
However, armor spikes might have a kind of negative connotation in many campaign worlds. "Look at that evil guy in the wicked spiked armor. Heh, the black paint must have got worn off."

Well, that's what gaudily painted Symbols of Holy Goodness splashed across every flat surface are for :)

-Hyp.

Kyamsil

First Post
Uhmm... And I thought that they were pretty useless... Count me for a round of armor spikes! :p

Nice weapon, almost as nice as spiked chain... well, not so :D

Kyamsil

First Post
Zhure said:
What you need is armor spikes AND a spiked chain.
Greg

Nice point you got... :D droool... droool...

But... that rises a question... How do you handle that?
Since spiked chain is L and is usually used two-handed, it gets Str bonus x 1.5 to damage, but in two weapon fighting, you get Str bonus x1 with main weapon and Str bonus x0.5 with secondary weapon...

I bet for Spiked chain x1.5 and armor spikes x0.5, any bets?

Remove ads