Armour and Wings

carrot

Explorer
I've been playing a celestial-based character with wings. As a cleric I have armour proficency and have been wearing chain mail. We have just found some full plate armour and a discussion ensued on whether I'd be able use it. There doesn't seem to be any core rules on how armour fits - would it need modification or if I could fly in it. Does anyone know of any rules for this situation?

Cheers.

Depends.

Most of the time, armor sized for a medium character will fit any medium character - from a dwarf to goliath.

However, your DM might want to institute some variant of the following:

SRD said:
ARMOR FOR UNUSUAL CREATURES
Armor and shields for unusually big creatures, unusually little creatures, and nonhumanoid creatures have different costs and weights from those given on Table: Armor and Shields. Refer to the appropriate line on the table below and apply the multipliers to cost and weight for the armor type in question.

Medium x1 x1 x2 x1

The multipliers are Humanoid Cost, Humanoid Weight, Nonhumanoid Cost, and Nonhumanoid Weight respectively.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
The book doesn't deal with this case specifically, so it's up to the DM.

If the armor is nonmagical, it's pretty clear that you can't use something designed for normal humanoids. That's just from common sense, because regular armor doesn't have big holes exposing the shoulder blades. In a city of non-winged humanoids, you'd probably need to get your armor custom-made.

With magical armor there's more room for argument, since magic armor normally resizes-- the same suit will fit either a halfling or an ogre. Some DMs extend that to the point where armor will automatically reshape as well, to accomodate wings, tails, or other extra appendages. I don't happen to like that idea, but again it's up to your DM to decide.

IMC, I would consider you a "nonhumanoid" creature in terms of armor, and charge you double the base price (not counting any masterwork component or magic enhancements). If you found regular armor and wanted it modified, I'd have an armorsmith charge you the armor base price, so its value would come out the same as if you'd bought custom armor and then enchanted it. That is, modifying that suit of full plate would cost you 1500 gp.

AuraSeer said:
With magical armor there's more room for argument, since magic armor normally resizes-- the same suit will fit either a halfling or an ogre.

No, magic armor doesn't normally resize. Magical boots, cloaks, and rings (to name a few) do. Armor and weapons, specifically, do not.

Infiniti2000

First Post
I agree with the responses so far, but I have a side comment pertinent to the OP. I looked in the SRD and didn't find a clear rule, so I'm wondering if it's in the DMG or I'm misremembering something. I thought that fliers were restricted from wearing heavy armor, or is it a heavy load? Or, is the restriction purely movement based?

ackron

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
I agree with the responses so far, but I have a side comment pertinent to the OP. I looked in the SRD and didn't find a clear rule, so I'm wondering if it's in the DMG or I'm misremembering something. I thought that fliers were restricted from wearing heavy armor, or is it a heavy load? Or, is the restriction purely movement based?

Well there is this:

3.5 SRD said:
A creature with a fly speed can move through the air at the indicated speed if carrying no more than a light load. (Note that medium armor does not necessarily constitute a medium load.)

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
No, magic armor doesn't normally resize. Magical boots, cloaks, and rings (to name a few) do. Armor and weapons, specifically, do not.
Well blow me down, you're right. Thanks for the correction.

Infiniti2000 said:
I thought that fliers were restricted from wearing heavy armor, or is it a heavy load? Or, is the restriction purely movement based?

Certain fliers - like the avariel from the Forgotten Realms - cannot fly at all in heavier armor. It's a part of their racial description.

Most fliers, however, follow the more general rule that ackron posted. :)

AuraSeer said:
Well blow me down, you're right. Thanks for the correction.

NP!

It's a tricksy rule that snuck in in an odd location. One of the "benefits" of arms and armor not resizing is that anyone who spends a lot of time polymorphing - and changing size - is going to have a hard time lugging around the appropriately-sized stuff.

They added a new weapon enhancement ... Shifting? Sizing? ... in Complete Adventurer that allows a given weapon to assume the appropriate size for its wielder.

BalazarIago

First Post
Awesome, I was actually going to bring this topic up regarding my game. I have several odd shapped creature in my game who want to wear armor. That chart has been very helpful.

I also disagree that armour, magical or otherwise, should not resize itself. Besides, it is a good way to absolve the players of some of their extra money.

Remove ads