• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arms & Armor

Arms & Armor is a 96-page full color softbound sourcebook that retails for $24.95. Simply put, this book is filled cover to cover with just about every weapon or type of armor imaginable. The book contains 121 new weapons of all types, 70 new weapon qualities, 51 specific named magicla weapons, 49 new types of armor, 82 new armor qualities, and 49 new specific named types of armor. The artwork is once again supplied by Todd Morasch, the principle artist on Minions: Fearsome Foes, whose distinctive style works masterfully for the book's content. Two other artists, Jason Stephens and Rupert Dolby, also contributed by providing the art for the amulet servitors.

Having been involved in the playtesting for Arms & Armor, I am very pleased with the final outcome. Initially, many of the weapon and armor qualities had serious game mechaincs issues among the caster level requirements and spells used for item creation. Fortunately, that issue has been resolved. For the most part, everything is balanced in terms of item function, requirements and gold piece value.

For those players who love the spiked chain as a weapon, they will enjoy the option of using the Chained Axe or Double Chained Axe. Fans of Scottish highlander clans now have the claymore as a choice for arming their character. There are numerous listings for weapons that have an eastern or oriental flavor. My personal favorites among the weapon types include: the Double-Headed Axe, the Double-Bladed Sword, the Horse Hacking Sword (actually a polearm) Ribbon Daggers, and the Ta Mo Hidden Dagger.

The weapon qualities section gives all manner of enhancements for that newly chosen weapon. How about a weapon whose composition changes to Fiendish Bone or does double damage against incorporeal creatures (Deathchill), or only allows a single intended person to hold it without taking electrical damage (Imprinted), or even boosts innate Spell Resistance. My favorites in this category are the Deathoath, Skewering, Crushing, and Soul Burner qualities.

Specific class-oriented weapons are listed in the next section. Here you find weapons such as: Axe of the Berserker (Barbarian), Harp Bow (Bard), Domain Rods (Cleric), Stormcaller (Druid), Sword of Power (Fighter), Martial Gloves (Monk), Soulcleanser (Paladin), Trickle Sword (Ranger), Silent Dagger (Rogue) and School Staves (Sorcerer/Wizard). There are also non-class specific weapons including ranged weapons, swords, and major artifacts such as the Talon of the Vogel.

A nice feature with Arms & Armor is a short section on optional weapon rules meant to "add a bit more fun or explanation to the game." One rule is giving experience points to intelligent weapons (which I like) which allows them to gain levels just like classes. There is also an entry on separating double weapons that can suddenly give a character two distinct weapons to use during combat. The last optional rule presents seven new extraordinary special purpose powers. I tend to like the Extraplanar Hunter purpose most of all.

The rest of the book is primarily devoted to armor. New armor types listed in the first armor section include: Bardic Armor, Silken Web Armor, Bone Mail Armor, Oaken Tree Bark Armor, Morbius Mail Armor, and Taskmaster Armor. I prefer the Daggered Plate Armor as my choice for this section. The armor/shield qualities list is quite extensive and include Bludgeoning Resistance, Deathwarding, Dopple, Greater Healing, Magnetic, Morphic, Quick Don, Recall, Rust Proof, Tentacled, Thorny, and Totem enhancements. My choices here are Living, Phoenix and Vampiric armor powers.

Class-based armor is included just as in weapons. Class armors are: Armor of the Bull (Barbarian), Scale of the Troubadour (Bard), Saintly Mantle (Cleric), Furious Vestment (Druid), Valiant Breastplate (Fighter), Sash of the Master (Monk), Armor of Faith (Paladin), Cloak of the Wolf (Ranger), Subdermal Armor (Rogue), and Robe of Focusing (Sorcerer/Wizard). Specific non-class armors listed are: Battle Plate, Blue Armor, Helm of Eyes, Valkyrie Armor, and Werearmor.

Racial Masks are a new type of magic item for fighters and warriors. These masks have magical properties that help in combat, generally. Eight different masks are outlined with my favorite being the Dwarven Mask. Two armor artifacts are also listed - The Bandoleer of Swords and Mail of the Knuk. Optional rules for armor are presents that cover damage reduction in armor and shield parries. The last few pages of the book takes a look at Martial Constructs such as Amulet Servitors and the very cool Golem Armor.

Overall, Arms & Armor is an absolute must-have for anyone who games. There are choices for every class with everything being fairly well balanced. Antoher strong point is that, except for the graphic elements, the entire book is declared Open Content. This means you can use the items listed here in any d20 product provided the rules of the Open Gaming License are followed. I strongly recommend this book. Run out and buy it for your collection as soon as you can...

To see the graded evaluation of this product, go to The Critic's Corner at www.d20zines.com.

drnuncheon

Explorer
It's equal in price, page count, and printing quality to Monsters of Faerun, which was also $24.95. Full color glossy pages are expensive.

I just don't know how a book with so many editing errors can get a perfect score.

Cyric

Explorer
What a product! WOW!
The first part of the book is a whole bunch of new weapons and armors. Those are nice and may add some flavor to your campaign, but I think most DM's stick to the core rules concerning these things.
The second part is a blast! I details magical powers for weapons and armors and helps the DM alot in designing more complex magical equipment. Forget about Longsword +1 and stuff like this. For example a xxx of Solace is a special Weapon for Paladins, giving in boost in Lay on Hands, a general +1 on all Savings and preventing that the Character will ever become an undead creature. In the hands of a paladin this weapon gives a +3 on all attacks and damage roll, in the hand of mere mortals only +1. And you find 100's of extra powers like these, useable for other magical equipment, too.
I find this a great help in designing treasure that fits the needs of characters or, just the other way round, prevents that every magic staff an evil opponement drops becomes just another powerfull tool for the heroes.
I own alot D20 products... this is the one I will use the most (apart from the Core Rule Books, of course) and that will spare the most amount of time designing new encounters and campaigns.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Since I harshed pretty badly on Bastion for their editing above, I'd like to point out that now you can download the weapons tables from their website as a PDF file - it's intended for the MasterScreen customizable GM screen, but it works just fine as errata. I was very pleased to see it as it makes the book much more usable.

J

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads