• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Art in D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
SNIP

This is the type of art that I think 5e needs. It's a Dragon cover from the 3.5 era by Eva Widermann. It's a dynamic scene in an interesting environment. And the female warrior is dressed appropriately.

I will add that although the dynamic-ism of this image is solid, the actual technical elements of the piece I find lacking. The woman's angles of her neck, arms, and weapons are all just a little out of alignment.

I find it more difficult to find 5e pieces will technical issues like this (unless it's halflings), but I agree that although almost every 5e piece is technically complete, many are not evocative (especially the earlier art).

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
View attachment 116142

I loved that piece when it came out in the 2nd edition Player’s Handbook...

Until I noticed that the fighter’s left leg was completely fubar. Look at the alignment of the knee and foot—anatomically impossible. Once I saw it, I couldn’t unsee it. Ruined a very evocative piece of art for me.

Looking at it again, it would have been just as evocative if the fighter didn’t show so much leg and have a bare midriff.
god damn it.
I really liked it, although I always felt something was slightly off. Now I can't unsee it either

MGibster

Legend
Until I noticed that the fighter’s left leg was completely fubar. Look at the alignment of the knee and foot—anatomically impossible. Once I saw it, I couldn’t unsee it. Ruined a very evocative piece of art for me.

I still love it despite its flaws. What's going on in that picture? Did a giant ambush this woman thinking her easy prey? Is she interrogating the giant to glean some vital intelligence about a nearby fortress? Or is the giant the hapless adventurer who has bitten off more than he can chew? And I'll admit that I just flat out like the style more than I like most of the art from 5E.

Looking at it again, it would have been just as evocative if the fighter didn’t show so much leg and have a bare midriff.

Yeah. With that hand band she doesn't look out of place for a 1980s low budget fantasy barbarian movie.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I have to agree that 5e art is good but not great. I would like to see the evocative scenes of 2e art combined with 5e's more modern sensibilities.

The art in the PHB is dull. When it shows characters they are rarely interacting with the environment or opponents. The picture on page 156 showing the caravan is a good example.

View attachment 116140

Why not pull back a bit and show the fantastic landscape the party is travelling through or show a hidden enemy watching them? Add something interesting instead of having a static, boring scene.

Thankfully, it is getting better. Compare the art in Dragon Heist or Descent to Avernus to the PHB. The full page scenes are dynamic and interesting.

I think that picture is great.

dave2008

Legend
I still love it despite its flaws. What's going on in that picture? Did a giant ambush this woman thinking her easy prey? Is she interrogating the giant to glean some vital intelligence about a nearby fortress? Or is the giant the hapless adventurer who has bitten off more than he can chew? And I'll admit that I just flat out like the style more than I like most of the art from 5E.
When easley had time he could produce some great stuff, but a lot of his work became rushed and sloppy IMO. Also, I tend to feel his work is too monochromatic for my taste (a tendency when you use oils which he did). I feel like we remember the great evocative stuff and forget the large amounts of meh. That is nostalgia for you.

cmad1977

Hero
A lot of previous editions art was pretty clearly drawn by people who, apparently, hadn’t ACTUALLY seen a woman in real life. Much less draw ones body or attire accurately.that pirate picture way up the thread? Her bottoms are impossibly small and look like they were painted on a mannequin. Give me the ‘uncanny valley’ feeling. Give her shorts/pants and it’s a pretty great cover.

Sacrosanct

Legend
When easley had time he could produce some great stuff, but a lot of his work became rushed and sloppy IMO. Also, I tend to feel his work is too monochromatic for my taste (a tendency when you use oils which he did). I feel like we remember the great evocative stuff and forget the large amounts of meh. That is nostalgia for you.
I’m guessing by your avatar that you’re a Parkinson fan? 😉

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads