• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Artifacts vs all else

Creeping Death

First Post
Interesting

So artifacts are very powerful items not created by mortals that have negative side effects. Since they are not tied to the wealth-by-level table, they are not something that should just be handed out for slaying a lowly orc. Instead they should be mainly used as a plot device just like the ring in Lord of the Rings. Artifacts may also have abilities that are outside of something the players or any of the NPC's or creatures are able to do or gain. Example off the top of my head: move the entire planet into the Abyss.

Epic Magic items are only created by 21st level or higher mortals (non-deities) and their power can surpass certain effects of artifacts. They do not have negative side effects like an artifact would. Epic magic items are tied to the wealth-by-level table.

Holy relic are created by dieties and are similar to artifacts. More a plot device than a run of the mill +x sword or something.

The rest are tied to one system or another that can be used by both the player and DM to guage balance and affect on the game.

Thanks,

Creeping Death

Yair

Community Supporter
While artifacts that have disastrous side-effects so are used only as a plot device are great, these are NOT the artifacts presented in 3e. (I miss the OD&D artifact creating system, I had fun with it...) The artifacts in 3e have no drawbacks, they are just super-powerful magic items (a few may be dangerous, such as the deck of many things, but that isn't quite it).
Case in point:

SRD said:
The Shadowstaff

This artifact was crafted centuries ago, weaving together the wispy strands of shadow itself into a twisted black staff. The Shadowstaff makes the wielder slightly shadowy and incorporeal, granting him a +4 bonus to AC and Reflex saves (which stacks with any other bonuses). However, in bright light (such as that of the sun, but not a torch) or in absolute darkness, the wielder takes a -2 penalty on all attack rolls, saves, and checks.

The Shadowstaff also has these powers.

* Summon Shadows: Three times per day the staff may summon 2d4 shadows. Immune to turning, they serve the wielder as if called by a summon monster V spell cast at 20th level.
* Summon Nightshade: Once per month, the staff can summon a nightcrawler nightshade that serves the wielder as if called by a summon monster IX spell cast at 20th level.
* Shadow Form: Three times per day the wielder can become a living shadow, with all the movement powers granted by the gaseous form spell.
* Shadow Bolt: Three times per day the staff can project a ray attack that deals 10d6 points of cold damage to a single target. The shadow bolt has a range of 100 feet.
In what way can this item be used to drive the plot, where a normal magic item could not? Its basic abiltiies are just a few bonuses, and its powers are simply reproduced by a few high-level spells (and in fact refer to ones!).

I reiterate, artifacts in 3e are just bad design.

Last edited:

Maldin

First Post
If you'd like to read a discussion about artifacts... what they are, the different "levels" of artifacts, and how they fit in a campaign... then check out my Artifacts webpage at http://melkot.com/arcane/artifact.html
One of these days I'll get around to including a paragraph or two about epic and legacy weapons and how they fit into the scheme, but unfortunately I haven't had a chance. Hence, no info on those as of yet.

Denis, aka "Maldin"
==============================
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com

Silveras

First Post
Older editions classed Artifacts & Relics as the same thing... beyond mortal powers to create.

In 3rd Ed., Artifacts are still beyond mortal power to create. LESSER artifacts are like Yair points out, merely "extra good" magic items for the most part. GREATER artifacts are the ones that tend to have powers that are not reproducible by spells alone.

Weapons of Legacy, as things that grow in power with the character, also includes a discussion of two Lesser Artifacts as Weapons of Legacy: the Holy Avenger and the Staff of Power. Both are given Weapon of Legacy write-ups to show how you could achieve something a little different (and more flavorful) than the DMG's version.

Alzrius said:
Relics can be divided into two sub-categories. Ancestral relics are where you take a feat that allows you to imbue an item you own (that has been in your family for a while) and imbue it with magic power, essentially making it a magic item. Holy relics are similar to minor artifacts, in that they aren't created, but are items of powerful goodness. Both types are found in the Book of Exalted Deeds.

Crothian said:
Relics can't be made, and require a feat and spell slot usually to use

Just to clarify ... although both use the term Relic, they are different things. Crothian is referring to Relics as described in Complete Divine. Also, he is incorrect; they are made with an Item Creation feat (Sanctify Relic), also found in Complete Divine. A Cleric of the appropriate deity can power the Relic with a spell slot (the level is dependent on the relic), OR anyone (Cleric or not) with the True Believer feat and high enough in character level can use the relic.

The Ancestral Relics that Alzrius refers to are different things, that work as described.

Creeping Death

First Post
Maldin said:
If you'd like to read a discussion about artifacts... what they are, the different "levels" of artifacts, and how they fit in a campaign... then check out my Artifacts webpage at http://melkot.com/arcane/artifact.html
One of these days I'll get around to including a paragraph or two about epic and legacy weapons and how they fit into the scheme, but unfortunately I haven't had a chance. Hence, no info on those as of yet.

Denis, aka "Maldin"
==============================
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com

Thanks, after breifly looking over your sight, it looks very helpful. When I get more time, I will check it out in more detail.

Remove ads