• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Artificer]Does making an item need to be 8 hours in a day?

Denaes

First Post
Or can you mix it up?

If you had time could you do 12 hours in a 24 hour period (1.5 days of work)?

If something came up could you do 2, 4 or 6 hours in a 24 hour period and just work more days?

Or does only 8 hours in a day count and if something comes up the days work is wasted?

Artoomis

First Post
Denaes said:
Or can you mix it up?

If you had time could you do 12 hours in a 24 hour period (1.5 days of work)?

If something came up could you do 2, 4 or 6 hours in a 24 hour period and just work more days?

Or does only 8 hours in a day count and if something comes up the days work is wasted?1

Artificers follow the regular magic item creation rules except for what is spefically mentioned in the class description, which says nothing about changing the 8-hour per day rule.

SRD said:
The caster works for 8 hours each day. He cannot rush the process by working longer each day. But the days need not be consecutive, and the caster can use the rest of his time as he sees fit.

A character can work on only one item at a time. If a character starts work on a new item, all materials used and XP spent on the under-construction item are wasted

RigaMortus2

First Post
So does that mean a you could craft two 1st level scrolls in one day? Each taking 8 hours, for a total of 16 hours, then rest the remaing 8?

Denaes

First Post
I didn't think it would be any different for Artificers and Wizards. I knew that it gives the number days as a result of time and each day = 8 hours.

I only really thought of it because I've played RPGs where making magic items/spells took days to weeks to months and you were given the total amount of time it would take - split into days of 8 hours each. Then from there you can work 2 hours a day or 16 hours a day (there was a min/max per day to be effective).

Game mechanics are seperated into two departments: Logic & Balance.

Logically, unless you're doing something time sensitive, you can walk away and pick it up later. I could walk away from this post and finish it a day or three later - it's not time sensitive. Since you can walk away from making an item between days, in 8 hour blocks of time, it doesn't strike me that making an item is time sensitive. You can spend 3 days, then walk away for 5 weeks and go back and continue. I'd find it strange that each day is time sensitive within it's own frame and the overall time isn't.

Thats why logically I assume there isn't a reason why there was a difference between walking away for the day after 4 hours and 8 hours.

Balance is another issue and sometimes defies logic just to make play fair and fun for everyone.

But, I can't see how letting someone be flexible with their time (working longer/shorter days) would be a balance issue unless it's supposed to be a punishment designed to take your character out of the game for a time - which I don't see it as.

It seems that the people who wrote the game might have had more... modular games than others who play it. ie, one adventure is down and players have time off to do what they wish and have fun, then at another point another (maybe continuing) adventure picks up.

Unfortunatly my GM has a continious game set up. The group is lucky to get 8 hours to sleep, let alone 8 hours to make a days deposit of work.

Oh well, I'll give it another level and if my artificer still can't make anything I'll just switch over to Wizard or Sorcerer. I should be able to make use of my Infusions & making items as well as actually having a class ability I can use effectively in the game :)

Artoomis

First Post
Denaes said:
...Oh well, I'll give it another level and if my artificer still can't make anything I'll just switch over to Wizard or Sorcerer. I should be able to make use of my Infusions & making items as well as actually having a class ability I can use effectively in the game :)

You do need a workshop and such, but can split up the time as much as you like - one day here and another there.

srd said:
The caster works for 8 hours each day. He cannot rush the process by working longer each day. But the days need not be consecutive, and the caster can use the rest of his time as he sees fit.

Artificers can be tough to run if you never get any down time, but all the down time does not need to happen at once, but it does, pretty much, need to be in the same place (workshop) unless you come up with some clever way to have a mobile workshop. If you do that, you;r all set, you only need 8 hours a day for the item creation time, then.

For now, maybe you can do something with a wagon?? :)

Jack Simth

First Post
Artoomis said:
Artificers can be tough to run if you never get any down time, but all the down time does not need to happen at once, but it does, pretty much, need to be in the same place (workshop) unless you come up with some clever way to have a mobile workshop. If you do that, you;r all set, you only need 8 hours a day for the item creation time, then.

For now, maybe you can do something with a wagon?? :)
Ah, the joys of Portable Holes, Soveriegn Glue, and leather belts. Depends on the size of the workshop, of course, but if you can convince your DM you can fit it into a 6-foot diameter circle... or are short enough that setting everything sideways and having a curved workspace 10 feet long is feasable.... then it's a pricy, but doable, setup.

Just make sure to leave your Handy Haversacks and Bags of Holding outside.....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads