• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Artificer playtest any good?

Rhinotter?

First Post
Greetings all,

My character apparently died in my absence last session despite assurances from the DM that she was in God Mode. This is what happens when a self titled "Melee Slayer" gets to play a wizard.

I have an in-game option to resurrect her, but it would involve activating an evil artifact with limited uses before it ends the world. She may not be cool with that.

How does the Artificer play out? What was really fun about it and what was not fun? What did you do in most combats? (I have some ideas on the RP.)

I'm looking for playtest reports, so report us some playtest!

Thanks,

-Rhinotter?

In case you are wondering, Rhinotters have the combat role of lurker.

1of3

Explorer
I found it a bit clunky at first. Having tried it, I fell in love.

I especially enjoyed having another class that could use ranged weapons with power. So I made kind of an arcane archer. Long bows are great when it says "blast 1 within weapon's range".

I didn't really get what Curative Admixture is for. If I was an editor I'd omit that one. Artificer seems to have enough class features without.

Rhinotter?

First Post
Well I hope it doesn't stack up at all. 3.5 Artificers were disgustingly broken.

From the text my guess is that the 4e version is a little limited in their ability to do much of anything. Less damage than the wizard and less healing than a cleric. Different style than a warlord, but again, less damage.

I'm hoping someone who has played one can tell me what they excel at. Utility maybe?

Dalzig

First Post
At first glance, artificers are pretty close to clerics of technology.

Looking at specific powers...
HI: Restorative Formula is exactly the same as Healing Word.
HI: Curative Admixture is like an encounter Bastion of Defense (but the ability itself seems to suck).
and so on...

Pretty much, an artificer excels at buffing/healing the party with a bit of controller thrown in. Just about every single one of their powers has the word "ally" in it.

jimtillman

Explorer
Well I hope it doesn't stack up at all. 3.5 Artificers were disgustingly broken.

From the text my guess is that the 4e version is a little limited in their ability to do much of anything. Less damage than the wizard and less healing than a cleric. Different style than a warlord, but again, less damage.

I'm hoping someone who has played one can tell me what they excel at. Utility maybe?

decent leader , decent controler meh damage but some flat out fun powers, I will like it when we see there other abilites.

Xfer83

First Post
We have an artificer as our party's leader in the campaign I am currently playing. Thundering armor (one of the artificer at-wills) adds an interesting tactical element to combats. Other than that they play fairly similar to the lazer cleric, with more wizardly encounter and daily powers. So far I like it, similar, but toned down flavor of the previous edition's artificer.

Rhinotter?

First Post
Thanks, Xfer83. What ranged weapon did (s)he use?

I'm thinking of making a genasi with a heavy thrown weapon. I'm going to be burning a feat on some kind of proficiency.

Alternately, I could push dex and use a shuriken.

Thoughts anyone?

Rhinotter?

First Post
So in general, what are some good ranged weapons for Artificers?

Something with a +3 proficiency bonus and a decent range is nice, but you need to have an implement in hand, so crossbow?

Man, now I'm missing 3.5's orc shotput or annulut.

Dalzig

First Post
ATM, daggers or shuriken are probably the best to use as an Artificier. I guess you could also have 2-4 crossbows preloaded on your body for longer range shots. Minor action to draw, fire the shot, then drop the crossbow.

Remove ads