D&D 5E Artist Mike Schley running a sale on all digital artwork (including adventure maps)

Louis Brenton

Explorer
Mike Schley is (in my mind) the best D&D cartographer in the universe. He's contributed to 5E materials such as Lost Mine of Phandelver, Princes of the Apocalypse, & Out of the Abyss (& countless older, pre-5E resources).

If you're the type who likes to purchase digital downloads of maps from the artists, I just got an email from Mike advertising a sale he's running until Sep. 30. 15% off using the coupon code that was removed by the Moderators.

Despite the obvious reference, this code will apply to any digital downloads from his site. The site is: http://mikeschley.zenfolio.com/

Apologies for not making a fancy link. My internet ignorance is great.

Mod Edit: Sorry, but that coupon code was not intended for general distribution. ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Not cool Louise. THis was supposed to be just for returning customers which is in bold in the email. Please either delete this forum post or modify your original post.

I will agree that Mike is good.. I even like his AL scenarios he has done.

I am although fairly annoyed about this utter fascination the Module Writers have with this 1 square = 10 ft ratio. I know I know, there is a size limit for their maps, but its basically makes it next to impossible to print the map to actually be usuable on the table. I keep hoping the next module dosnt make the same mistake, but there it is again.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The reasons for 1 square=10 feet is because it makes the maps a lot more readable. The #1 reason a map fails is when it uses an inappropriate scale: you've got to be able to easily count the squares. Paizo managed to royally screw up the map of Maure Castle a few years back by using a 5 foot scale (and then misprinting the grid as well!)

1 square=5 feet is fine for miniatures, but not for most larger dungeons in a printed book. If you're dealing with rooms much larger than 20 ft. square, then you should be using a 1 square = 10 feet grid, or perhaps even larger.

Cheers!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I am although fairly annoyed about this utter fascination the Module Writers have with this 1 square = 10 ft ratio. I know I know, there is a size limit for their maps, but its basically makes it next to impossible to print the map to actually be usuable on the table. I keep hoping the next module dosnt make the same mistake, but there it is again.
Er...why would you print any dungeon map for use on the table? Why not just draw the relevant bits (as in, what the PC party actually knows about) on a pre-gridded whiteboard or chalkboard or similar, and put the minis on that?

5' squares are annoying as hell as when the chambers get to being 40'x60' or 50'x90' it's far too easy to mess up the counting.

Lan-"my biggest pet peeve with pre-done battlemaps of any kind is they invariably show players parts of the area their characters haven't seen yet"-efan

pukunui

Legend
What's not cool is how WotC has apparently talked itself into believing it is reasonable to ask us to pay more to get maps as digital files even after having purchased the campaign book.
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect us to pay a few bucks extra to get a super high-res version of a map. The maps that WotC used to give out for free on their website were all pretty low-res files.

CapnZapp

Legend
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect us to pay a few bucks extra to get a super high-res version of a map. The maps that WotC used to give out for free on their website were all pretty low-res files.
You talk like an apologist, like you still get the lowres map for free. Why you do this?

While it may not be unreasonable to expect us to pay for a super high-res version of a map, it is unreasonable to expect us to pay for *a* version of a map. Especially since this hurts customers that want to stay legit ONLY.

pukunui

Legend
[MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION]: I'm sorry. What? Could you maybe rephrase that? Because I have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited:

wedgeski

Adventurer
You talk like an apologist, like you still get the lowres map for free. Why you do this?
If we got the low-res maps for free, people would still be on here complaining that we don't get the high-res ones, or free scale printed laminated versions of them delivered into our hands upon release.

In this instance, WotC are choosing to support the artist over their own customers. I honestly don't know if that's the right call. I have bought maps from Mike Schley's portfolio, which is money I would have preferred not to spend, but in the end...it doesn't bother me that much.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases