Artist Wayne England RIP

According to reports on Facebook, role-playing and Fantasy artist Wayne England has passed away. Former Games Workshop writer Graeme Davis has also confirmed this news on G+. England's art help set the tone for a number of role-playing games from Warhammer to Dungeons & Dragons, and he also contributed art to Magic The Gathering.

According to reports on Facebook, role-playing and Fantasy artist Wayne England has passed away. Former Games Workshop writer Graeme Davis has also confirmed this news on G+. England's art help set the tone for a number of role-playing games from Warhammer to Dungeons & Dragons, and he also contributed art to Magic The Gathering.

Warhammer
tribute blog Realm of Chaos 80s recently published a tribute to England and talked about the sketchbook that he carried with him to conventions.

England is survived by his wife, Victoria

Anselyn

Explorer
Died. Died. Died. Dead. What's with this "passed away" rubbish. For a hobby that's largely about killing things, we should be able to stare DEATH is the face.

Condolences to friends and family. I'm sorry for your loss - but you know that what we call this won't change how you're feeling.

Anselyn

Explorer
It is called empathy, and being respectful of others in their time of morning.
You're right but wrong. If I were talking to a close relative of the deceased I might well talk about their loss if that seemed appropriate - although I really can't imagine that I could have "passed away" pass my lips. This may be an ongoing and evolving UK/US thing [1]. I assure you that I do think politeness matters whatever I think more generally of mealy mouthedness. However, I don't think such euphemisms are needed in reporting facts to third parties. I've checked [2] and the newspapers of record on both sides of the Atlantic reported that David Bowie had died not that he had "passed" or any other nonsense. My assumption is that enworld is, or should be, acting journalistically in its reportage and so should avoid such delusional sentimentality in reporting events - just as I would not expect it to report that anyone has popped their clogs or fallen off the twig. Respectfully yours - and restraining myself from any closer approach to Norwegian Blueness. A.

[1] www.huffingtonpost.com/william-b-bradshaw/died-passed-away-or-passed_b_6240282.html
[2] Thanks - good idea Stainless

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You're right but wrong. If I were talking to a close relative of the deceased I might well talk about their loss if that seemed appropriate - although I really can't imagine that I could have "passed away" pass my lips. This may be an ongoing and evolving UK/US thing [1]. I assure you that I do think politeness matters whatever I think more generally of mealy mouthedness. However, I don't think such euphemisms are needed in reporting facts to third parties. I've checked [2] and the newspapers of record on both sides of the Atlantic reported that David Bowie had died not that he had "passed" or any other nonsense. My assumption is that enworld is, or should be, acting journalistically in its reportage and so should avoid such delusional sentimentality in reporting events - just as I would not expect it to report that anyone has popped their clogs or fallen off the twig. Respectfully yours - and restraining myself from any closer approach to Norwegian Blueness. A.

This post is entirely inappropriate. Please do not post in this thread again.

Ranes

Adventurer
This is terribly sad news. I've been out of the loop for a few weeks and hadn't heard. For a brief but super time in the late eighties, I had the pleasure of working with Wayne. I remember being really excited when I first saw his work; I'd never come across anything like it. Years later, encountering his contributions in a D&D supplement always enhanced my enjoyment of the book. Wayne was a fine, fine illustrator and good friend for too short a time.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads