• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E As a DM what spell / ability do you find most annoying?

fil512

Explorer
I think for me it’s a tossup between Moon Circle wild-shape which not only is super OP but can also get players around many obstacles. The other one is Locate Object which makes it hard to steal from the players or have them quest for a unique object.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I can't say I find anything particularly annoying, but as a DM, I do live in constant fear that my super-villains will be polymorphed into something embarrassing.

Oofta

Legend
My top two plus:

For low level spells, it's Heat Metal. No save, nerf the big bad if he happens to be in metal armor by effectively giving them perma-disadvantage while the caster runs away so their concentration can't be broken.

At higher levels, it would be banish. Fighting an extra-planar creature? No problem, just banish! And while your at it, get some ridiculously high DC and have them save at disadvantage.

Divination spells in general, especially the ones at higher levels. As much as I stress that the gods in my world are not all-powerful and omnipotent, some cleric is sooner or later going to ask to get advice from their deity on exactly where the demi-god powered being is located and exactly how to defeat them. I tell them the gods don't know and the response is a whiny "But Odin sees all!".

Any of the conjure 112 pixie, squirrel, mephit, or manes spells (I am exaggerating the number, it only feels that high). I think it would have been more elegant to give them a swarm and have the size of the swarm increase with the level of spell cast (or summon a what amounts to a wall of angry mephitis/sprites/manes, and since the wall is pretty short, the party can range attack over it).

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Any of the conjure 112 pixie, squirrel, mephit, or manes spells (I am exaggerating the number, it only feels that high). I think it would have been more elegant to give them a swarm and have the size of the swarm increase with the level of spell cast (or summon a what amounts to a wall of angry mephitis/sprites/manes, and since the wall is pretty short, the party can range attack over it).

Good call - any spell or feature that slows the game to a crawl is on my list for sure. I didn't think about it when I made my initial post and wished now I did!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads