As Editions progress, are homebrews...

I was just wondering... as editions progress, are you finding it more difficult to create your own settings and forge your own path, or have the new editions been making it easier to come up with your own content?

I'd say neither. I don't find it any harder or easier to create a homebrew world now than I did in the early days of 3E, or in 2E, or even 1E. (I didn't play Basic long enough to judge, but I can't imagine it would've been any harder there.)

WayneLigon

Adventurer
The vast majority of the content I care about in a homebrew setting is invulnerable to edition (or even system) changes. Every edition change brings with it new ideas that I use, or a better way of doing a certain something; minor details might change but that sort of change could easily enough happen with me seeing a cool movie, reading a novel or comic, or just being struck with a neat new idea for the setting. Just because, say, 4E might not contain Frost Giants right out of the gate just for example, doesn't mean suddenly Frost Giants will disappear from my homebrew or that I won't use them in some capacity.

Abstraction

First Post
Been homebrewing for 20 years. 3E made it easier over previous editions and I expect 4E will have about the same ease of homebrewing as 3E.

Benben

First Post
3E made it vastly easier save for one 2nd ed tournament module that was low level and designed to really make deity specific priests shine.

Otherwise giving me a great toolbox that allows my homebrew to move seamlessly from story to mechanics is a very good thing.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Raduin711 said:
I was just wondering... as editions progress, are you finding it more difficult to create your own settings and forge your own path, or have the new editions been making it easier to come up with your own content?
I don't think 3E was any harder than 2E, but it seems like 4E may be harder than either of them. Either every setting has to have "Golden Wyvern Adepts" or we have to rename the feat for every setting.

Which really irks me. The D&D designers here have made a decisions which has NO BENEFICIAL EFFECT, and makes my job as a DM/world-designers a lot harder? Do you think my players are going to go to the effort of re-memorizing the new names for each of these feats and class abilities? OF COURSE NOT.

Which means every campaign world and homebrew is going to have Golden Wyven Adepts, and Emerald Frostian Wizards, and Lightning Panther Strikers.

Grrrrr. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

This is the only thing about 4E which really pisses me off.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Different rule sets are easier to homebrew in different ways. Since I tend to "go with the flow", and homebrew something that works with the rule set, instead of fighting it, edition (or even system), really doesn't make any difference.

If I have a particular homebrew in mind, I might pick a the edition or system to match, though.

Counterspin

First Post
The feat does not have a prerequisite of membership in any group, so I have now idea how you could come to the conclusion that its presence forces the existence of said group.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I redid my campaign world from 2E to 3E, and it worked pretty smoothly. I then changed completely around the time 3.5 came out, not just to build directly for 3rd edition, but to fix some issues I saw in my game world that weren't rules-specific. At the same time, I set the world up so that the game world progresses after each campaign, with the concept of changes in the nature of magic (and progress of technology, etc) were all built in as a means of protecting myself when a new edition came along - because I knew that one would eventually.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Raduin711 said:

The more RPGs I'm exposed to, the less I want to bother creating my own settings.

edit: which I just noticed doesn't address your question at all. Carry on. :eek:

Last edited:

Remove ads