D&D 5E "....as if you were concentrating on a spell"

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
For me I think that summoning the pact weapon would be magical and therefore not be able to be summoned in an anti-magic field. Summoning something is too magical an effect for me to rule otherwise. If they summon the blade outside the field, not a problem, it sticks around.
Summoned objects disappear in an antimagic field

Creatures and Objects: A creature or object summoned or created by magic temporarily winks out of existence in the sphere. Such a creature instantly reappears once the space the creature occupied is no longer within the sphere.

Argyle King

Legend

Creatures and Objects: A creature or object summoned or created by magic temporarily winks out of existence in the sphere. Such a creature instantly reappears once the space the creature occupied is no longer within the sphere.

From which book is that? I'm asking because I don't know.

Argyle King

Legend
It's in the spell description for antimagic field

Thank you.

Regarding the pact weapon:

As described, it is not summoned. It is created in the hand of the warlock.

"You can use your action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it. You are proficient with it while you wield it. This weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage."

I'm not convinced that an antimagic field would prevent that.

It appears that the weapon exists in some sort of extradimensional space. Personally, I'm inclined to say that spells/effects which block dimensional travel would prevent the function of the pact blade, but I'm not convinced that antimagic would.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Thank you.

Regarding the pact weapon:

As described, it is not summoned. It is created in the hand of the warlock.

"You can use your action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it. You are proficient with it while you wield it. This weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage."

I'm not convinced that an antimagic field would prevent that.

It appears that the weapon exists in some sort of extradimensional space. Personally, I'm inclined to say that spells/effects which block dimensional travel would prevent the function of the pact blade, but I'm not convinced that antimagic would.
Antimagic Field does block interdimensional travel.

Magical Travel: Teleportation and planar travel fail to work in the sphere, whether the sphere is the destination or the departure point for such magical travel. A portal to another location, world, or plane of existence, as well as an opening to an extradimensional space such as that created by the rope trick spell, temporarily closes while in the sphere.

Any way you slice it, pact weapons can’t manifest in an area affected by antimagic field by RAW.

Argyle King

Legend
Antimagic Field does block interdimensional travel.

Magical Travel: Teleportation and planar travel fail to work in the sphere, whether the sphere is the destination or the departure point for such magical travel. A portal to another location, world, or plane of existence, as well as an opening to an extradimensional space such as that created by the rope trick spell, temporarily closes while in the sphere.

Any way you slice it, pact weapons can’t manifest in an area affected by antimagic field by RAW.

Would this mean that items inside a bag of holding cannot be retrieved while in an antimagic field?

Argyle King

Legend
It appears that my initial thought was wrong, and (I think) items inside of a bag of holding would not be accessible. The bag would function like a normal bag, but the magical opening to the extradimensional space couldn't be used.

Interesting...

That prompts a few ideas concerning how a few basic items could be used offensively.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem

I guess I'm thinking of the summoned object being a physical thing that existed elsewhere and has been brought to the hand of the warlock rather than something created specifically by magic. If it was something they had to concentrate on then I might say it winks out of existence but I wouldn't say it does in the case of a pact magic weapon. In this instance, I consider it something like the bonded weapon of the eldritch knight, it's just that the armoury the warlock is drawing upon might be on another plane of existence.

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
Would this mean that items inside a bag of holding cannot be retrieved while in an antimagic field?
1610514535198.png

Remove ads