D&D 5E "....as if you were concentrating on a spell"

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I don't argue that the Sage Advice version of it isn't a decent take. It is fine.

But, I also think a GM with the PHB and DMG in hands would be entirely okay to say, "No, you can't summon that thing in an anti-magic field, because it is magic." And not be outside the rules in so doing.

It is a "rulings, not rules" thing.
I’d say that DM is within the rules, but only because summoning a thing out of thin air is clearly magical.

They’d be outside the rules if they said it disappears when you enter an AMF, though. I’d have to reread the ability more closely to say if it’s properties are dampened like a normal magic item, or if they seem to be more like a dragon’s breath or flight.

And by extension me. Its a personal attack, and I politely ask you to retract it.
The problem with lawyers is they have to be paid. Not that there is anything wrong with being paid. The problem is, some can afford to pay lawyers (the Rich) and others cannot (the Poor). This enshrines a massive injustice right at the core of the justice system.

So no, I decline to retract my attack on lawyers. The world would be a better place without them.

You dont deal 'damage with a weapon' when you land an unarmed strike.
No one said you did. But the damage done by an unarmed strike is the same as the damage done by a weapon. 5e D&D does not have a separate "unarmed strike damage" category. When you see that something is immune to damage from non-magical weapons, that does not mean that you can damage it by throwing your weapon away. Otherwise there would be no point in the level 6 monk ability:

Ki-Empowered Strikes

Starting at 6th level, your unarmed strikes count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.

Note that this ability does not say "magical weapon" because it doesn't need to, the damage done by unarmed strikes is already the same as damage done by a weapon.

No one said you did. But the damage done by an unarmed strike is the same as the damage done by a weapon. 5e D&D does not have a separate "unarmed strike damage" category. When you see that something is immune to damage from non-magical weapons, that does not mean that you can damage it by throwing your weapon away. Otherwise there would be no point in the level 6 monk ability:

Ki-Empowered Strikes

Starting at 6th level, your unarmed strikes count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.

Note that this ability does not say "magical weapon" because it doesn't need to, the damage done by unarmed strikes is already the same as damage done by a weapon.

No you're missing the text of Divine Smite which adds to 'the damage of your weapon'.

Unarmed strikes are not a weapon, so the two are incompatible.

Same heal with HAM feat. It only stops damage from weapons. Not (for example) B, P or S damage from falls, spells or traps or unarmed strikes.

The problem with lawyers is they have to be paid.
Maybe in your country, but in mine we have free Legal Aid available (of which I work in), and even paid Lawyers go out of their way to often act Pro Bono (i.e. work for free) to help people out and defend people in criminal prosecutions all the time.

How often do you devote months or even years of your life in your career working for free to help others?

Maybe in your country, but in mine we have free Legal Aid available (of which I work in), and even paid Lawyers go out of their way to often act Pro Bono (i.e. work for free) to help people out and defend people in criminal prosecutions all the time.
And they get the same quality legal advice as the rich people who pay for the most expensive lawyers?

I'll answer that for you: no they don't. You get what you play for.
How often do you devote months or even years of your life in your career working for free to help others?
Most of it, I'm a school teacher.

Last edited:

No you're missing the text of Divine Smite which adds to 'the damage of your weapon'

Unarmed strikes are not a weapon, so the two are incompatible.

Same heal with HAM feat. It only stops damage from weapons. Not (for example) B, P or S damage from falls, spells or traps or unarmed strikes.
Hair splitting. It shows the intent, but it's not a 5e rule. Accept it: WotC screwed up the text (as is perfectly normal, everyone makes mistakes) and are refusing to admit it (less pardonable, but still very common).

The wording of HAM is the same as monsters that require magical weapons to hit. The intent is not that you can hurt them with anything that is not a weapon, the intent is that the thing you are hurting them with must be magical. It's typically lawyerish textural pedantry to focus on the word "weapon" rather than the word "non-magical".

Last edited:

Remove ads