• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ascension ability questions

Betrayor

First Post
First, greetings..

So I was once again reading through ascension and I noticed that is posible to acquire divine templates trhough the use of epic magic,what I was wondering is would the caster gain quintessence and if so how much(i suspect that it would be the minimum needed for the template of divinity chosen) and what kind of quintessence it would be(i was thinking that it would be power points)...
I would like to hear your opinions...
Apologies for the formating mess and any mistakes as I am posting this through my mobile and english is not my native tongue.

Betrayor said:
First, greetings..

Howdy Betrayor! :)

So I was once again reading through ascension and I noticed that is posible to acquire divine templates trhough the use of epic magic,

Indeed although the Spell DCs are so hight that its probably not something that can be done so nonchalantly.

what I was wondering is would the caster gain quintessence and if so how much (i suspect that it would be the minimum needed for the template of divinity chosen)

The bare minimum, yes.

and what kind of quintessence it would be (i was thinking that it would be power points)...

I would like to hear your opinions...

It would be raw quintessence and therefore indeed Power Points.

I suppose the epic spells could hypothetically either STEAL WP from an existing deity (which might make for a good story) or TAP RP from some external source in effect creating the link. But I think if the caster can meet the Spell DC then maybe they deserve the immortality without any strings attached.

Apologies for the formating mess and any mistakes as I am posting this through my mobile and english is not my native tongue.

No apologies necessary amigo! :)

Betrayor

First Post
Thanks for the answers...
The spell is supposed to be used to create new deities because in my campaign an apocalypse happened which resulted to the enxtincion of every being that possesed quintessence,so now a cabal of powerful yet mortal wizards are trying to create new deities,both because they want more power and because the world is at chaos without divine magic.

Howdy Betrayor! :)

Betrayor said:
Thanks for the answers...

Always happy to help amigo.

The spell is supposed to be used to create new deities because in my campaign an apocalypse happened which resulted to the enxtincion of every being that possesed quintessence, so now a cabal of powerful yet mortal wizards are trying to create new deities, both because they want more power and because the world is at chaos without divine magic.

Sounds pretty cool and suitably epic, good luck with the rest of the campaign. :cool:

Edit...just thought of something, if everyone with quintessence was destroyed, perhaps areas of resonance become black holes of entropy or something like that.

eduar

First Post
I'm thinking that Alter Reality is a very powerful ability to just be cosmic, I think that would be more appropriate transcendental

by the way, can manifest powers? Or need a psionic version? If so what could have both?

Mr.Satan

First Post
Krusty doesn't really follow his own 3.5 material anymore, so he may not realize that Ascension still has a few errors.

Alter Reality, as written under the divine templates section is incorrect. I forget precisely when and where this was discussed.

Alter reality, as written under the list of Cosmic Abilities (essentially wish at will, mutable by metamagic) is the correct version.

It's more accurate and more balanced.

You would need a psionic variant to mimic Reality Revision.

There are other minor errors as well, but the majority of them are fairly obvious and easily corrected.

I'm probably the only one here obsessive enough to actually hunt them down like the Gibborim they are.

One thing I don't quite understand is whether or not Alter Reality still burns experience points. As written...it does.

This would be a slow drain on an immortal's lifeforce, eventually crippling any deity that uses Alter Reality too often.

It certainly makes Karmic [Effect] more useful.

Last edited:

paradox42

First Post
thanks Mr. Satan

a SU should not cost XP, the XP cost is one of those things that everyone hates
UK always said that the Wish SLA that deities get is supposed to still cost XP, whereas the Alter Reality thing I don't recall ever seeing him state explicitly. Of course, as has been pointed out several times, by RAW he's wrong: when a spell goes from spell to spell-like-ability, it loses any XP cost it had along with its other components. This is one of those areas where he differed from the established books, and never explicitly spelled it out in his stuff (you have to dig through forums to find it).

In my own game, which did actually have a PC or two with Alter Reality, we had several house rules to handle things. I ignored the XP cost on SLA-Wish gained from the divine template, as long as you didn't Wish for anything too grandiose; basically it was that if your desire would lead the DM to twist a mortal's Wish around or not fulfill it completely, then you're paying XP. Also, when Domains granted spells with XP costs (such as Miracle), the rule we used was "you get up to X uses per day for no cost, where X equals your Divine Rank, then you can still use it but you have to start paying XP." It worked out quite well for us- and sometimes the players did want to pay the XP cost to get that One More Use. The Alter Reality Cosmic just meant you get infinite uses of the same sort of Wish you'd normally get from a divine template, so it usually but not always meant no XP cost.

Remove ads