Ascension ability questions

Mr.Satan

First Post
It's certainly more fitting for it to not cost experience points. My DM has already ruled that it doesn't in our campaigns. Casting wish as a spell, however, that still costs experience points in my campaigns.

Unrelated: It's been rather interesting playing a gunslinging monk (greater deity of Death, etc. in disguise) in the old west. He has 3 identities (1 real, 2 false). The first is a gunslinging monk lich (his real identity), the second is a settler from merry ole' England, the third is a deputy.

When his not dealing with killing and torturing evil settlers (he's an antihero of sorts...with a love of cruelty towards those that deserve it), he's interacting with native American deities and European deities and trying to keep the peace in his own chaotic evil manner (usually through bullying and intimidation).

He's fairly well rounded with Cleric and Psion levels and a few levels devoted to Ninja and a couple other stealthy classes and prestige classes. He's fairly old, so the classes he's progressed in thus far are representative of his "younger" days, before his flesh fell from his bones.

He's married an Irish lass (who is only vaguely aware of his true nature), he has a English Archivist/Scout lich for a butler, and his butler's adopted son is destined for lichdom and dating a lady vampire that happens to be only 2 steps removed from Dracula himself.

The setting is California 1904.

eduar

First Post
It's certainly more fitting for it to not cost experience points. My DM has already ruled that it doesn't in our campaigns. Casting wish as a spell, however, that still costs experience points in my campaigns.

Unrelated: It's been rather interesting playing a gunslinging monk (greater deity of Death, etc. in disguise) in the old west. He has 3 identities (1 real, 2 false). The first is a gunslinging monk lich (his real identity), the second is a settler from merry ole' England, the third is a deputy.

When his not dealing with killing and torturing evil settlers (he's an antihero of sorts...with a love of cruelty towards those that deserve it), he's interacting with native American deities and European deities and trying to keep the peace in his own chaotic evil manner (usually through bullying and intimidation).

He's fairly well rounded with Cleric and Psion levels and a few levels devoted to Ninja and a couple other stealthy classes and prestige classes. He's fairly old, so the classes he's progressed in thus far are representative of his "younger" days, before his flesh fell from his bones.

He's married an Irish lass (who is only vaguely aware of his true nature), he has a English Archivist/Scout lich for a butler, and his butler's adopted son is destined for lichdom and dating a lady vampire that happens to be only 2 steps removed from Dracula himself.

The setting is California 1904.

pretty cool, sounds very fun to play

Mr.Satan

First Post
o_o That it is.

As of the last gaming session a rival death god murdered his family and friends, consumed their souls, and found a way to banish my character.

By virtue of an epic spell, he essentially extracted my character's 5 ft. space (dimensional fabric and all) and shunted him into an alternate multiverse. The effect being similar to the breath weapon of a nexus dragon, except it didn't allow spell resistance or a save due to the nature of the spell.

Technically...my character wasn't directly affected by the spell since it was the dimensional/spatial/temporal fabric he existed in that was shunted. Which was a bit like cutting away the surrounding healthy tissue of the multiverse to get rid of the cancer (my character).

Had he been anticipating the attack, my character probably could have avoided it precognitively, but it was completely unexpected. The last thing my character heard was the maniacal laughter of his opponent and the screams of his family as their souls were being consumed.

Now he's in Eberron (alternate multiverse) and trying to figure out what to do with himself. As a self-imposed punishment for not being vigilant enough and allowing his family to die, he now haunts a mortal's closet and lives in total isolation. Thus far he's killed 1 unlucky burglar in a gruesome manner in order to protect the mortals whose closet he haunts.

Said mortals are terrified of my character (who remains ethereal and invisible much of the time) and leave him offerings of cookies and milk in order to placate him and keep him from killing them in their sleep.

Mr.Satan

First Post
o_o Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I've been a bit preoccupied. I'll start a new thread for everyone to follow.

But thus far...

He's ended his isolation and made friends with an Illithid that has his own nautiloid, rescued a barbarian woman (quite the sexy maiden), and joined a crew of spelljamming pirates. So...now he's a medic on a pirate ship with the most attractive female in the galaxy and has made some loyal friends. I'm sure something unpleasant will happen to him eventually.

But anyway...I'll move this to a new thread now.

Mr.Satan

First Post
Question...

I know that a First One would be a Supercluster.

I know that an Old One would be a galaxy.

I know that an Elder One would be a planet, star, or other celestial body.

Could an Elder One be a dwarf galaxy?

When you consider that an elder one could be an entire planar layer, it's not really much of a stretch. It actually makes a lot of sense.

Dwarf galaxies are generally very, very, very small in comparison to your average galaxy.

They're basically failed galaxies. Galactic stillbirths if you will.

If not, then what is the largest possible region of space that an elder one could be the embodiment of?

Last edited:

Hey there Mr.Satan! :)

Mr.Satan said:
Question...

I know that a First One would be a Supercluster.

I know that an Old One would be a galaxy.

I know that an Elder One would be a planet, star, or other celestial body.

Could an Elder One be a dwarf galaxy?

No.

Conceivably these are defined by scalar leaps. A Dwarf Galaxy is only about 10% smaller than a typical galaxy.

When you consider that an elder one could be an entire planar layer, it's not really much of a stretch. It actually makes a lot of sense.

It is a stretch and it doesn't make sense.

Dwarf galaxies are generally very, very, very small in comparison to your average galaxy.

1/10th the size is not really a significant drop given that they are previously BILLIONS of times smaller.

They're basically failed galaxies. Galactic stillbirths if you will.

If not, then what is the largest possible region of space that an elder one could be the embodiment of?

The size of the largest star or a nebula or a solar system.

All that said, such things are an utter irrelevance in 3E and I don't know why you would bother. The sizes are meaningless in relation to the beings and don't contribute towards Hit Dice.

Mr.Satan

First Post
Hey there Mr.Satan! :)

Ello :)

The size of the largest star or a nebula or a solar system.

A nebula can get to be as big as a tiny dwarf galaxy. A dwarf galaxy can get to be as small as a nebula. The Tarantula Nebula is 1000 light years across, a dwarf galaxy can be smaller or larger depending on which one it is. A galaxy can be hundreds of thousands of light years across by comparison.

I'd say that an elder one could easily be the embodiment of a dwarf galaxy if it's on the small end (500 light years or so) of the spectrum if I were to go by what you're saying about size ratios. Dwarf galaxies can conceivably exist within normal galaxies, as can nebula.

There are also many superclusters within our universe, so I'm even wondering if a first one should be a supercluster and not the universe itself since the multiverse is the demi-urge. I'm beginning to wonder if it should go something more like this...

Multiverse: Demi-urge
Universe/Dimension: First One
Supercluster/Plane: Old One
Galaxy/Planar Layer: Elder One

As it is, you have it more like this...

Multiverse: Demi-urge
Universe/Dimension: First One
Galaxy, Supercluster/Plane: Old One
Celestial Body, Nebula/Planar Layer: Elder One

Which might make sense. But would still allow for dwarf galaxies on the smaller end of the spectrum.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSL9JCcg1zw&feature=related[/ame]

All that said, such things are an utter irrelevance in 3E and I don't know why you would bother. The sizes are meaningless in relation to the beings and don't contribute towards Hit Dice.

It's purely for roleplaying purposes.

Last edited:

Mr.Satan

First Post
Alter Reality...

I have questions about this ability.

1. Which version of Alter Reality is the correct version? I've been using a version that marries the best aspects of the version from the divine templates and the one listed under Cosmic abilities.

I have it rewritten as follows...

Alter Reality (Su)
You can alter reality.
Prerequisites: Cha 70, Ability to cast 9th-level spells, Spellcraft 70 Ranks.
Benefit: You can use any 0-9th level spell at will as a swift action. You can also combine Automatic Metamagic Capacity epic feats (to increase the effective level of the spell for greater results).
Additionally you can use Alter Reality to give yourself a circumstance bonus on all dice rolls equal to 9 + the number of Automatic Metapsionic Capacity feats you possess. But you lose this circumstance bonus any round you use the Alter Reality for any other purpose.

Should Elder Deities or higher be able to replicate epic level spells?

I realize this kinda renders normal spellcasting obsolete, but as written the sidereal templates allow this.

I'm considering this version instead...

Alter Reality (Su)
You can alter reality.
Prerequisites: Cha 70, Ability to cast 9th-level spells, Spellcraft 70 Ranks.
Benefit: You can use any 0-9th level spell at will as a swift action. You can also combine Automatic Metamagic Capacity epic feats (to increase the effective level of the spell for greater results).
Additionally you can use Alter Reality to give yourself a circumstance bonus on all dice rolls equal to 9 + the number of Automatic Metapsionic Capacity feats you possess. But you lose this circumstance bonus any round you use the Alter Reality for any other purpose.
Special: Elder ones or greater can use any 0-9th level spell or epic spell of a DC equal to their spellcraft check +20. Their circumstance bonus is 10 + the number of Automatic Metamagic Capacity feats, rather than 9 + the number of Automatic Metamagic Capacity feats.

Last edited:

Remove ads