D&D General Asian D&D

WotC could need special rules for "isekai" characters, people from a more advanced civilitation, for example "Kamigawa: Neon Dinasty".

Would they though?

I mean, while they wouldn't use the same term, 'isekai' type fantasy where a real-world person ends up in a fantasy land is hardly unique to Japanese genre work. Narnia, Thomas Covenant, Fionavar, John Carter are some fairly obvious and well-known examples from western literature going back many decades. Even Harry Potter isn't THAT far off, conceptually, with a 'normal' boy ending up in a magical society. D&D has managed to exist a long time without having to explicitly cater for this trope with game mechanics, even though some of its influences use it.

It seems to me as if you could largely handle 'real world' PCs by just writing your character's backstory accordingly. And maybe using a custom background, if you really felt the need.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Would they though?

I mean, while they wouldn't use the same term, 'isekai' type fantasy where a real-world person ends up in a fantasy land is hardly unique to Japanese genre work. Narnia, Thomas Covenant, Fionavar, John Carter are some fairly obvious and well-known examples from western literature going back many decades. Even Harry Potter isn't THAT far off, conceptually, with a 'normal' boy ending up in a magical society. D&D has managed to exist a long time without having to explicitly cater for this trope with game mechanics, even though some of its influences use it.

It seems to me as if you could largely handle 'real world' PCs by just writing your character's backstory accordingly. And maybe using a custom background, if you really felt the need.
Mark Twain even did this!

thumb-1920-1108683.jpg

Peter Pan and the Wizard of Oz are isekai in certain way.

No company should force to change the preferences by the market but to know what the consumer wants, and how, and offering to her.

I fear if D&D started to become more popular in China the goverment would want to controll it because they are too jealous about the "soft power".

I don't know the possible contacts between Hasbro and the Chinese media megacorporation Tencent, and I don't hope a lot of mutual trust.

Maybe we shouldn't worry too much, because in the next years Hasbro could acquire some Asian company, a manga publisher or videogame studio, and this could create the right isekai/jianghu D&D setting.

Last edited:

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Does this count as Asian D&D? The Phoenix Nebula wildspace system featured in my upcoming Arcane Armada - collection of 13 custom Spelljammer ships and deck plans, binary star system with stats, new species, new monsters of the nebula. One of the worlds is 'Sorashima' (which means 'Sky Islands' in Japanese). It was once an Earth-like planet, however, in this binary star system, one of the outer gas giants of the neighboring system passes too close to Sorashima orbit, which caused it to break apart into an 'asteroid pack' in the shape of it's world as floating isles. I've even created 2 Spelljammer ships for Sorashima, including the Shogun's Imperial Jade Dragon flagship. It is is D&D. It is Asian (Japan-esque). I just finished the deck plans for this flagship, today.

moon viewing.jpg
jade dragon.jpg

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Would they though?

Not to mention the D&D Cartoon!

Gameprinter is right. Spelljammer allows to create new world with D&D Multiverse.

---

This is an example about what to face WotC if they want to publish in China.

As contradictory as it may sound, the censorship is both surprising and expected. In September 2021, then-new regulations for video game developers were shared to the wider internet.

Such forbidden content included becoming or defeating gods or god-like beings, having demonic beings as allies, depicting iconography or other symbols of real religions, being able to choose between acting good or evil, and provocative outfits on women. This is on top of China’s existing ban on depictions of the undead, spirits, and lewd content.

1680876016278.png

This is in Spanish languange, but you don't need read it, only to compare the original and the censored versions.

Leaked Document Reveals How Chinese Regime Censors Film, Television

China Demands Even More Self-Censorship—Will Hollywood Comply?

Top 10 Most Surprising Things Banned in China

Beijing Places Sweeping Ban on Shows, Movies Depicting Ancient China

China is a potential great market, but by fault of the censorship the bets are too risky. The censorship criteria is not only very strict but also arbitrary and even capricious. After the several years of investment the publishing could be stopped suddenly because there is new criteria.

---

D&D’s Official Japanese Release Gets A New ‘Iconic Party’​

Fs1c74caMAAeyI5

Last edited:

I was thinking other of my crazy ideas. Who knows? Maybe someone works.

There is a Japanese web about self-publishing novels. (now I wonder how could be added pictures created by AI). Shōsetsuka ni Narō (小説家になろう, lit. "Let's Become a Novelist")

Maybe in the future Hasbro should open within DMGuild a section like this, self-publishing fanfiction web. D&D is not only when you are throwing dices on the tabletop, but when you are creating your characters and stories. Should it be too different about the homebred creations published in D&D Beyond?

Of course I can understand the fear of amateur writers publishing something like "I reincarnated into Kitiara, the villaines of Dragonlance saga" or "How I earned a lot of money crafting and selling toilets articles in a fantasy world".

Remove ads