• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Assassin death strike at range?

7thlvlDM

Explorer
I seem to recall reading on these boards that there was a feat that allowed rogues to make sneak attacks from farther than 30' and also allowed assassins to make death attacks at range. Is there such a feat, and if so, could someone tell me the source?

Thanks,
-7th

kilted Frog

First Post
In Traps and Treachery, by Fantasy Flight games, they have a feat called Improved Ranged Sneak Attack that ups the range for Sneak Attacks from 30 to 45 feet. However, it mentions nothing of Death Attacks. As far as I know, Death Attacks must be made with a melee weapon, unless their is another feat out there that breaches this barrier.

Ruvion

First Post
Yeah...it was a feat featured in faux Song and Silence by RangerWickett. :D

I think the name was sniper or something.

I do have two PrClasses that allow death attacks at range. I think they work well...If you're interested, I'll post 'em in the Houserule forum.

Pangias

Explorer
there is a spell in S&S named Sniper. It doubles the range allowed for Sneak attack. I don't remenber if it allows ranged death attacks but i think so.

Ranger Wickett was almost right on this one....:) Except it is a spell and not a feat.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'm sure that the assassin can make death attacks at range, the criteria are exactly the same as sneak attack. Assassin crossbow bolts and such.

(At any rate, the assassins in MY campaign world can :D)

I've read numerous thing from WotC-ers saying that they don't have things that break the 30' range limit for the whole sneak attack/favoured enemy/point blank bonus/caboodle. Maybe it would come under the heading of "too good not to have" for these people? The current range is set so that even a missile using rogue could still be attacked within the round that they acted. If the range was longer, it would set up lots more situations when they could snipe with impunity.

Just thoughts, of course.

Pangias

Explorer
It s wrong. WotC ers cheated you, simply because the Asn Spell "Sniper" bring the ranged sneak attack to 60". I imagine you can enchant this on an item and you break the rule.

Squire James

First Post
Temporarily extending the range to 60 feet is reasonable. Most of my characters can retaliate from that distance just as well as they could from 30 feet.

As for enchanting a weapon with it, well, they should be getting something for their 48K or so gold. Heavy fortification is available at something like that cost, and it allows a person to ignore such tactics completely (death attacks must be sneak attacks, and heavy fortification negates sneak attacks). Nothing seems unbalanced here.

If you want to talk about imbalances of power in class books, look up the Haste armor in Defenders of the Faith and try to justify that as balanced! Wouldn't your potential sniper really rather have one of those?

Remove ads