• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Assassin Feedback

nnms

First Post
By the rules, there's nothing stopping the assassin grabbing with the spear to use the spear to choke the target or turn it and plunge the tip under the ear if they're grabbing lower down. Or just give a horrible neck popping jerk.

webrunner

First Post
Regarding unconsious vs killed: wasn't it already explicitly a rule that when you reduce an enemy to 0 you can knock it unconscious if you wish? Wouldn't then the Poison rule be an exception to that rule removing the option of not doing so?

Neverfate

First Post
This is an email I sent to WotC concerning the new Essentials Assassin. Keep in mind, I'm not a true numbers grinder, so there could have been things I missed and this is only for the Heroic tier in which I've played the character.

League of Whispers At-wills.
Bola Take down. For a Striker to be doing NO damage just for the sake of setting up damage on the next attack isn't great. Striker players want to do damage. The control effect is strong for setting up other strikers or defenders, but the lack of damage or the ability to roll the Assassin's extra 1d6 on weapon attacks does hurt it a bit. 1[w] damage, sans Dexterity modifier, just Dexterity modifier, or just the 1d6 Extra damage would make this more viable. The control effect could be reduced to Slow instead of Immobilize. I have not taken this at-will in Heroic tier.

Precision Dart: This is a very unique at-will and would be more enjoyable if it were not solely based on Poisons that emulate Daily Powers. There aren't many mundane poisons that could be delivered through this either unfortunately and all of those are considered uncommon items now as well.

Close Quarters Shot: This has been my go to at-will. I think it is a very fun power with a great effect line.

Unerring Shuriken: Another solid power with an interesting effect line. I like that it is move your speed. This is my second most used at-will.

Other powers in Heroic tier.
Quick Swap: Necessary for this class.

Death Attack: Should have an option for knocking unconscious or consider raising the cap by 5 HP. As it stands, the power tends to get lost when needing to capture enemies or NPCs or isn't enough of a "death" window (especially in the higher heroic tier). Still a class feature worth keeping.

Nimble Drop: Reducing fall damage is good and my interpretation of the rules is that acrobatics would work along side it. However, I find I would rather have Ghosts of the Rooftops (the level 6 Utility) as a class feature (whether in place of this or at a higher level). This utility seems much more in spirit of a class and character that can get anywhere through Martial means.

Flawless Disguise: I would rather see this as an Executioner feat, with Ghosts of the Rooftops getting the level 8 Class Feature slot. It is fitting with the class, but can be difficult to find a use for, though that may be why this class gets it for free. I haven't had much of a chance to use it though (in comparison to Ghosts of the Rooftop or even Nimble Drop).

Assassin's Strike (encounter Power): I find this power to be effective, but limited. This is an effective power, but is very limited in use. Once per encounter. Granted, it does a lot of damage that has the added benefit of being used as a free action after an attack hits, once it's gone the class feels a little naked. If Poisons were more than pseudo-daily powers, this might not feel like the case.

Poisons: I think this is most interesting aspect of the assassin, but is not the most clear on it's intent. It is an effective class feature, but I think it lacks focus as it tries to cover multiple (and perhaps too many) areas. It is a grand and appreciated undertaking to be sure. Here are my concerns.
Poisons are basically Daily attack powers. My character at level 8 has access to 3 types, though can only produce 2 a day. I love the versatility that allows. However, two poisons I found the most useful (Carrion Crawler Brain Juice and Nitharit Poison) don't seem effective when delivered to a single piece of ammunition, but to a melee weapon. That makes my blow gun feel less useful, seeing as most other poisons are simply thrown or leaving me with two other "coating" poisons that's effects are hardly worth being a daily attack powers (Bloodroot and Greenblood Oil Poisons; the latter of which is situational as monsters aren't designed to regain hitpoints usually).
More mundane poisons may be helpful, but more confusing. I would much rather see stronger daily power-like effects, with encounter long effects being relegated to something like Stances.

Poisons out of combat: I LOVE this feature. It is very unique and intuitive. It gives a new avenue to explore. However, knowing that my characters damage output in combat may greatly suffer makes me think twice of using it. Debilitating one opponent may not be as useful as having +2 damage for an entire encounter. I hope this feature remains, but is slightly separated from the daily powers.

Poisons that permanently debilitate: I love this feature too. Another awesome effect, but wasted when you've used Id Moss Powder on a brute that was just annoying the party with it's bag of hitpoints. It's hard for the the DM to realistically think of ways a lot of non-humanoid creatures can go insane and using it as a daily power damage source took away some of it's thunder. Again, I love this effect, but it needs to be separated somehow from relying solely on being a daily.

My last comments.
The executioner currently relies on mostly generic feats as many of the non-Essential assassin feats do not apply to this new class unfortunately. Obviously there are bound to be some feats just for the Martial Executioner (and the ability to take Martial feats is also a boon). I hope the class stays martial with some of it's powers remaining shadow (like class feature and utilities).

The class has no Stance. I find this odd and something I'd like to see, either as an at-will, utility or daily option. The Poison application to a melee weapon acts as a pseudo stance already. While you've managed to nail the "weapon-master" and "infiltrator" well, the secret arts of a guild would be amazing if they came out through stances. Guilds don't simply teach you how to use a hand crossbow, they show you an entire STYLE of using it. I would love there to be stance options in the class. I know for certain I would love my character to know secret, deadly combat styles. I would be nice if there were at least 1 or 2 stances per Guild or perhaps even a Guild that focused on this.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads