• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Assault on Raven's Ruin

dog45

First Post
Insight:
[sblock]
The LA + HD of the Minotaur is an ECL 8 character. Instead, how about using the Half-Minotaur template in Dragon 313? It says its a LA +1, but it should be +2, so that's what we'll go with. You'll actually end up with a more physically powerful character in 2 ways. The template abilities stack with the size increase that the template gives you. Also, you'll be able to take 3 class levels, which are better than monstrous HD.

Playing LA creatures without their HD is generally unbalanced and that's why the rules don't allow it. If you don't have access to Dragon 313 I can post or email the relevant information.
[/sblock]

dog45

First Post
Moonstone Spider:
[sblock]Thanks for your interest! I agree that the Arenea wouldn't pull its weight. Also, it's kinda weird for a PC. What other ideas did you have for a magic user?
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Aurora

First Post
I would love to play, but won't be able to put together a character until tonight. Looks like the party is missing a cleric. Is that what you would like me to make?

dog45

First Post
Aurora:
A cleric is always good to have in the party but don't feel like you have to make one. If you want to though, go ahead.

Insight

Adventurer
dog45 said:
Insight:
[sblock]
The LA + HD of the Minotaur is an ECL 8 character. Instead, how about using the Half-Minotaur template in Dragon 313? It says its a LA +1, but it should be +2, so that's what we'll go with. You'll actually end up with a more physically powerful character in 2 ways. The template abilities stack with the size increase that the template gives you. Also, you'll be able to take 3 class levels, which are better than monstrous HD.

Playing LA creatures without their HD is generally unbalanced and that's why the rules don't allow it. If you don't have access to Dragon 313 I can post or email the relevant information.
[/sblock]

If you could post or email me the info, I'll have a look. My email is rory [at] rorygmacleod [dot] com <die spammers die>

Aurora

First Post
dog45 said:
Aurora:
A cleric is always good to have in the party but don't feel like you have to make one. If you want to though, go ahead.
I like playing a cleric. I'll get it posted tonight.

D.Shaffer

First Post
Heck, I'm game.

I always wanted to toy around with the warmage, so here's a Dwarven take on it. Combines the old 'Dwarven Explosives fanatic' stereotype with a bit of a new take. It's complete, barring wanted changes. The only question I have is if you're allowing the alt. class features from PHII, if so I'd like to take his extra spell known using that class option. Also, I'm assuming we're going to min. amount for 5th level for XP, but I know some DMs like making it a bit more for Crafting purposes. He should probably have a few alchemical goodies, but I didnt know if you would allow self crafted items.

[sblock]
Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Gimgour Firehand
[B]Class:[/B] Warmage 4 / Fighter 1	
[B]Race:[/B] Dwarf
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] LN

[B]Str:[/B] 12 +1 (04p.)	[B]Level:[/B] 5	[B]XP[/B]: ?
[B]Dex:[/B] 14 +2 (06p.)	[B]BAB:[/B] +3		[B]HP:[/B] 36
[B]Con:[/B] 16 +3 (06p.)	[B]Grapple:[/B] +X	[B]Init:[/B] +2	
[B]Int:[/B] 14 +2 (06p.)	[B]Speed:[/B] 20'	
[B]Wis:[/B] 08 -1 (00p.)		
[B]Cha:[/B] 15 +2 (10p.)	[B]ACP:[/B] -3		[B]Spell Fail %:[/B] 0%

[B]	Base	Armor	Shld	Dex	Size	Nat	Misc	Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]	10	+6	+2	+2	+0	+0	+0	20
[B]Touch:[/B]	14	[B]Flatfooted:[/B] 18

[B]	Total	Base	Mod	Misc[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]	+6	+3	+3	--
[B]Ref:[/B]	+3	+1	+2	--
[B]Will:[/B]	+3	+4	-1	--
[B]Notes:[/B]+2 Racial vs Poison, +2 Racial vs Spells and Spell-like effects

[B]Weapon			Attack	Damage	Critical	Range[/B]
Crossbow, +1 Great	+6	 2d8+1	18-20/x2	120 ft
Waraxe, +1 Dwarven	+5	1d10+2	   20/x3	--- ft
Morningstar, MW Silver	+5	 1d8+0	   20/x2	--- ft
[B]Notes:[/B]+1 to hit Orcs & Goblinoids

[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Dwarf, Orc, Goblin

[B]Abilities:[/B] Darkvision 60', Stonecutting, Stability, +4 Dodge to AC vs Giants, +2 
Racial bonus to Appraise and Craft checks related to stone and metal, Weapon 
Familiarity (Dwarven Waraxe, Urgosh), Armored Mage (Medium)

[B]Feats: [/B] Battle Caster, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Crossbow, Great), 
Rapid Reload

[B]Spell Slots[/B] (Save DC 12 + spell level): 0 - 6; 1st - 7; 2nd - 4;
[B]Spells Known[/B] All Warmage spells + 1: Detect Magic
[B]Spell Notes[/B] +2 Damage to spells

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 32	[B]Max Ranks:[/B] 8/4
[B]Skills		Total	Ranks	Mod 	Misc[/B]
Concentration		+11	 7	+3	--
Craft (Alchemy)		 +9	 7	+2	--	 
Intimidate		 +9	 7	+2	--
Knowledge (History)	+10	 7	+2	--
Profession (Brewer)	 +1	 2	-1	--
[b]Notes:[/b] 

[B]Equipment:		Cost	Weight[/B]
Breastplate, +1		1350gp	30.0 lb
Buckler, +1 Mithral	2015gp	 2.5 lb
MorningStar, MW Silver	 398gp	 6.0 lb
Crossbow, +1 Great	2450gp	14.0 lb
Waraxe, +1 Dwarven	2330gp	 8.0 lb
Bolts, Cold Iron (20)	   4gp	 2.0 lb
Bolts, Silver (10)	  20gp	 1.0 lb
Potion, Cure Mod Wounds  400gp	 0.0 lb
Backpack		   2gp	 2.0 lb
Bedroll			   1sp	 5.0 lb
Flint and Steel		   1gp	 0.0 lb
Mug			   2cp	 1.0 lb
Pouch, Belt	 	   1gp	 0.5 lb
Rations x 5		  25sp	 5.0 lb
Waterskin		   1gp	 4.0 lb
Whetstone		   2cp	 0.0 lb
Spell Component Pouch	   5go	 2.0 lb
[B]Total Weight:[/B]84.0lb	[B]Money:[/B] 23gp 3sp 6cp

[B]		Lgt	Med	Hvy	Lift	Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]	1-43	44-86	87-130	260	650

[B]Age:[/B] 60 years
[B]Height:[/B] 4'2"
[B]Weight:[/B] 170 lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Ice Blue
[B]Hair:[/B] Red
[B]Skin:[/B] Ruddy

Appearance: Gimgour, to all intents and purposes, looks like your average fighting dwarf. He wears a metallic breastplate over a homespun, brown blouse and breeches, with
iron tipped boots. His great crossbow is hung across his back using a shoulder strap for
quick access, and his waraxe and morningstar are hung on his hip. In the small of his
back is a quiver that holds bolts for his crossbow, with two different fletching styles
distinguishing them. A buckler with his clan emblem (an orc skull with a flaming fist
punched through it) is strapped on his left arm. His beard and hair has been oiled and
shaped into elegant curls. The only hints to his magical nature is a series of belt
pounches holding various components.

Personality: Grimgour loves magic in its destructive forms. Unless it burns,
sizzles, booms, or makes loud explosions, it's not 'real' magic to him. He engages in
battle with a manic glee, giggling while happily laying the area to waste with the
biggest, loudest spells he has access too. While he maintains enough self control to keep
from hurting his friends and companions, the surrounding scenery is never so lucky. The
only thing that matches his glee with spells is his oversized crossbow which he has named
'Bertha', and he will often open up combat with a volley before letting fly with magic.
When not in combat, he remains a friendly individual, and is quite happy to share in war
stories, military history, practical applications of magic, and his latest
experiments in alchemy. During his off hours, he is toying with making custom alchemical
based payloads for 'Bertha' and is trying to save up enough money to get his crossbow more
powerful enchantments.

Background: Grimgour was born into the Firefist clan, the youngest son of a brewery
couple. While he liked the family trade, he was fascinated by arcane magic, or more
accurately, by its many ways to make things explode spectacularly. While arcane magic is
generally frowned upon in Dwarf culture, there was no denying that certain applications
were considered useful for military purposes. That this included many of those 'Explode
Spectacularly' abilities suited him just fine. His parents, glad to have their son's
pyrotechnic tendencies usefully channeled, were more then happy to ship him off to the
Warmage academy when he was of age. There, he learned practical spellcasting for
military applications, weapons training, as well as various alchemical procedures. During
his early years of service after graduation, his service reports gave him glowing
commendations on his skill, bravery, and loyalty. Unfortunately, they also
were filled with words such as 'Overkill', 'A bit to enthusiastic', and 'Get that lunatic
away from here before he accidentally blows up ANOTHER warehouse.' Needless to say, his
military career did not last long. He currently works as a mercenary/adventurer, making money as he can to finance his experiments and 'Bertha's upgrades.[/sblock]

EDIT: Added Eclectic Learning spell to spell list. Went for something nice and utilitarian.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Insight said:
If you could post or email me the info, I'll have a look. My email is rory [at] rorygmacleod [dot] com <die spammers die>

Thanks for the template. I think I'll forego the minotaur idea. The template takes away some stuff I really like (such as the Powerful Charge) and I think it's not quite enough for giving up two levels. Maybe LA+1.5 LOL

I'll see if I can find something else that I like.

Last edited:

dog45

First Post
The interest in the game has been great, so I'm stopping recruitment for now to work with those who have already posted. If anyone else wants in, I can put you on the Alt list.

D.Shaffer:
[sblock]Your attack bonus for both the waraxe and morningstar should be +4 because of the attack penalty from wearing the buckler. Also note you don't get the AC bonus when you attack with a melee weapon. Furthermore, your damage for the morningstar should be 1d8+2.

Other than that, your character looks good. I was going to cut off the players at 5, but dwarves are my favorite race and you had a good description, so you're in.

edit: Checked out Warmages in PHB II. You can use the Eclectic Learning if you want. You're sacrificing uses per day for versatility. What spell did you want to pick up?
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Difflam

First Post
dog45 said:
I knew I would forget something. HP is done thusly: Max HP at first level, then at each subsequent level you get half your Hit Dice + Con mod + 1.

Difflam:
[sblock]
You didn't include the full plates enhancement bonus to your armor class. Also, you didn't apply your armor check penalty to your Jump skill. Other than that, he looks solid. Can you write a paragraph or two of backstory?
[/sblock]

OK I have updated the HP, as well as the other things you mentioned, and added some background info! :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads