D&D 5E Assuming Dark Sun is on the horizon, what are your worries?

Sacrosanct

Legend
For the sake of argument, let’s assume Dark Sun is on the horizon. What would be some concerns or worries with how this 5e version would be presented?

Non-Brom artwork (first thing I think of when I hear DS)?
No unique psion mechanics?
How races (like halfling) are presented?
Limited subclasses as opposed to full classes?
Lore changed?

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I'm not worried about artwork not done by Brom, but I am worried about artwork that is not unified in tone or style (which can help draw a setting together).

Furthermore, I'm concerned that magic use will not be as punished as it was in the original boxed setting.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
At present, I think I’m mostly concerned about how they present the unique races. Muls and Thri-Kreen especially.

Tomorrow, I might be concerned about Arcane Defiling, Elemental cleric domains, or Athasian weapons.

No I'm not concerned about artwork. Their are lots of artists and lots of styles that will fit DS just fine.

I'm not worried about psions either. Even in DS I've never felt they were required.

I don't care about classes vs sub-classes. Good characters can be made with the existing system.

I don't care about timeline, because a DM can chose to run any edition at any point in the timeline.

What I do worry about is loosing the sense of danger and dread. Ignoring defiling magic and the sense of consequences. I do worry about change in lore, as imo their's almost never a good need to do that.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm not worried about much. Pretty minor.

Despoilers in the 4e were these weird "we're going to drain lifeforce from creatures, but only if you like them". That was jarring in an otherwise good implementation.

Oh, I do have one big worry. That they are going to make it setting that includes all of the PHB player options. Don't. Cut out divine classes. Cut out races. Give the ones left a lot of flavor - it's already written. Or even reskin them. Just don't have them in Darksun just because they are in the core book. Preserve it's identity.

Last edited:

Remove ads