D&D 5E Assuming Dark Sun is on the horizon, what are your worries?

ccs

41st lv DM
That they are going to make it setting that includes all of the PHB player options. Don't. Cut out divine classes. Cut out races. Give the ones left a lot of flavor - it's already written. Or even reskin them. Just don't have them in Darksun just because they are in the core book. Preserve it's identity.

I'm not the biggest DS fan, but yeah, I guess that'd be my worry.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Despoilers in the 4e were these weird "we're going to drain lifeforce from creatures, but only if you like them". That was jarring in an otherwise good implementation.
Difference between a meaningful restriction and a de-facto bonus, I guess? - in theory, maybe it's something that an be resisted, so you're depending on your allies to provide you with power?

What I remember of the original Defilers was kinda whack and kinda made sense, at the same time: defiling was essentially a 'bonus,' it made you just that little bit nastier in a fight, and you leveled faster than a proper wizard. So, yeah, the world got defiled to death. Transparent metaphor for environmental degradation. Do the expedient thing now, screw over future generations.

Oh, I do have one big worry. That they are going to make it setting that includes all of the PHB player options. Don't.
Cut out divine classes.
Cut out races.
Just don't have them in Darksun just because they are in the core book. Preserve it's identity.
Good point.
And add in Psionics, of course, since they're a huge part of the setting.

Another funny thing about Darksun and Dragonlance, both was getting rid of clerics, yet needing to re-invent their functionality to keep the game playable. With formal roles, it was a non-issue in 4e, no matter how much supernature or whatnot you stripped from the setting, it remained functional, even if you got all the way down to martial-only, not that Darksun need go that far.
In 5e, all the support classes are either divine, so lack of gods is an issue (if you break out nature from divine, well, nature's in pretty bad shape on Athas, too), or arcane (Bard), with it's own issues.
Something like the Ardent is certainly called for.

Last edited:

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I’m a person that really thought paladins should have remained LG. But since they are not, I really want vengeance paladins allowed. The other paladins may not fit the theme. But vengeance is definitely thematic for dark sun.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I guess I'm worried (that's actually too strong term) that they try to shoehorn every option in the PHB into the setting. In 4e they at least removed the divine classes and that was an edition where they were big on including everything as available. Take out the gnomes, half-orcs, and tieflings, don't just include them because they are in the PHB. I am fine with dragonborn being subbed in for Dray in a pinch, but I would hope to see a unique race created.

I'm not so worried about the art, Brom may have been the original but there was some great art in the 4e books, as long as the art fits the tone of the setting it's all good to me.

I'm not worried too much about psionics since I'm guessing they will be in, Mearls has said as much but things change. If that UA wizard subclass becomes the psion, (which would be weird in dark sun, they gain access to all of the wizard magics without having to worry about draining the land) I wonder if they will have some class ability replacements to make it more psion-like.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Defiling that (A) save-or-die's the (rest of the) party or (B) does nothing noticeable.
The Sorcerer-Kings have been statted out as Wizard-Kings
Every race and class in D&D is available
The natural environment is not a valid danger, independent of any monsters you meet
Too many undead clogging up the wilderness and ancient ruins
The monster selection does not reflect the Cleansing Wars

Remove ads