• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

At the Grand Portal of the Dead

Van Dyksun

First Post
"The easiest way to get back to that bridge would not be the way we came, but to travel by the river. The problem with this idea is it might alert that...thing...in the river to what we plan to do.

"Alternatively, someone suggested upending some of those large mushroom caps and trying to use those as boats. Same problem as before, even perhaps more dangerous as we would be more vulnerable; however, it could be much quicker than walking, and we wouldn't have to worry about going through the forest itself again.

"In either case, I agree that we don't need to revisit our friend Flame quite yet. Let's see what we can do about this curse, first."

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
Van -- I'm nervous about travelling by river... even though it was my idea. I think we'll need to use the mushrooms to see the Ziggurat, which I think might be in the former dragon's lair off the river.

But I think going by land, which has its share of hazards, may be preferable to meeting what Flame called the "Naga."

On the other hand, as Corwyn says .. fortune favors the bold. So I say we vote on it.

OOC: Does anyone know how to sail anything? How do we know if we know?

Last edited:

Van Dyksun

First Post
I just wish there were some way to lure that Naga-thing out of the river. I doubt it is quite as formidable on land.

But I agree with you that land travel is probably best. I mentioned the possibilities just to keep all the options in front of us.

Tom Cashel

First Post
Daziel: "Okay, boys--if your sacks are full, let's head back. I feel a little exposed with the headband lit out here."

There are strange--and faint--croaks and cries in the dark distance. Then comes the plaintive, and somewhat out-of-place, ululating howl of a wolf. You make your way back up the ledge...

"I agree with both of you that giant mushroom caps might be too dangerous for the trek to the bridge. I'd rather have more of a chance to assess the situation there. But when we go to find the ziggurat--if it is indeed in the former lair of Glamerdrung--we'll be using those caps as boats."

[Dave--I don't believe anyone has any Ranks in Profession (sailor), but sailing a ship is like making dwarven delicacies. Floating downriver in an overturned mushroom is like boiling water. :)]

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
Okay, let's go back with these mushrooms. So our plan is the following:

1. We crack open those crystals and see what - or whom - is inside.

2. We make for the bridge .. but this time perhaps we shouldn't just walk across the bridge, they'll be waiting for us.

3. We make for the speculum.

4. We lift the curse.

5. We find the ziggarat.

6. We bask in the glory of our heroism.

Van Dyksun

First Post
OOC: Can we have breakfast at Milliways, the restaurant a tht end of the galaxy, after accomplishing these seven impossible things? Looking forward to tomorrow!

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
OOC: Awesome job on Satuday! Wolf Company kicked ass! I know we're not posting any thoughts this month on what to do next.. hopefully, Tom will have mercy on us and realize we're hurt and without spells before he sends another wave at us. But of course, even if he does, we'll defeat whatever's next.

OOC: PS Van and a Bugbearian sittin' in a tree...

Tom Cashel

First Post
You can post whatever thoughts you want, but it's ALL out of character discussion...all I'll say is that the next session will pick up exactly where this one left off.

That said, great job.

James Bond: Do you expect me to talk?
Goldfinger: No, Mr. Bond--I expect you to die!

Van Dyksun

First Post
S'okay, Bronn--now that we know you've been playing footsies with Ruathgrym....

Exactly where we let off? Bleah. I'm gonna dieeeeee!

Tom Cashel

First Post
I expect you all to die. Mwhauhahahahahahhaha!!!!!

Seriously, though...keep track of any spell/potion effects whose durations are still in effect. This will be massively important.

Who's going to get the newbies registered on here?

Remove ads